Ranges in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex T

Inactive
I´m going to visit Florida an about two weeks. I´ll spen about 4 weeks touring around. Are there any public ranges for tourists where i can rent a gun and fire some rounds?
Thanks, ALEX

In the Jacksonville area there is GUN GALLERY on Beach Blvd. They rent everything from 22's to .454 cassull. They are indoor and incredibally resonably priced. Shoot all day for $5.00

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

In Orlando... if you are over at SeaWorld. Dang I wish I could remeber the street. But there is a road that has a whole slew of business. The Peabody hotel and the convention center are on this road. But Just past the Marriott on the left had side of the road set back about a block. Nice range there. I was able to rent several pistols. Took the time to shoot some that my range normally does not rent. Nice guys there. We had a nice afternoon discussing the differences in carry laws between FL and TX.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

DocSpanky, When did you get that price for the Gun Gallery? If it's been a while, I wish it was still that way. As far as I know (I shoot there a coupla times a week), its $8 a day for non-members and about $10 to rent (22 UP TO 44 Mag). They have Atlanta Arms FMJ reloads that range from about $9/50 for 9mm to about $14/50 for 44 Mag. They do not allow any pistols over 44 Mag on the range, 22 in rifles. Gun Gallery is great, and about the only place I know of on the East/South side of Jax that's worth going to. Let me know if you need directions.
Also, there's BullsEye range on Atlantic, but they're jerks. They're in a fairly bad area and they insist on unloading in the range/store. The one time I shot there, the guy made me take my unloaded gun OUT of my fannypack (even though I have a CCW) and then scolded me for not having the slide locked back (it wouldn't fit w/ the slide locked back). CJ

Yes its been awhile, But $8 is till very reasonable. When you consider the crooks at Gateway are raising their prices all the time. They (Gateway) have such a wonderfull facility and they won't clean it up at all. Ever tried to recover your brass from amongst thousands and thousands of 22 casings and steel and aluminum pistol and rifle cases?
People are rude and don't like to help, and they charge extra for everything. A 30 year old wooden rifle rest cost more, targets cost more and only LEO's can shoot at shillouettes
there ammo prices are at best highway robbery. They need a new owner to step in and clean that place up. In a couple of years growth is going to expand to its area and if they don't have their poop stright, they will be shut down for being so dirty.

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

DocSpanky, One of the guys at the GG on Beach said the Orange Park GG is looking for a new building, in which they will have a range. Thought you might be interested. Thanks for the info on Gateway, now I won't waste my time going over there. By the way, its nice to meet someone from nearby. CJ

Alex:

If you're in the Tampa area, there's an indoor range and gunshop on North Dale Mabry Ave. I can't remember the name or exact street address, but if you are on I-4 headed west, take Dale Mabry North exit....it's quite a ways up on the right hand side of the road, past the Bucs new staduim, IIRC.

Good outdoor range is in Ruskin, FL, approx 25 miles south of Tampa on I-75 South. It is located adjacent to Kim Stroud's gunshop. Stroud is one of the finest custom smiths in the US...and she is a member of the American Pistolsmith's Guild.

Both of these are/were listed in the Tampa yellow pages.

Mike

DOCSpanky and CJ,

Good info especially on Gateway. I was thinking of going there. But not now. I used to shop the GG on Beach but the guy (Scott) I always did business with is now at the O.P. GG.
I dont know of any other ranges in FL.

The ranges discussed in Tampa and Orlando are owned by the same company. Both are called Shooting Sports. The range in Orlando is on Visitors Circle which is directly off of International Drive across from Wet and Wild. Both ranges have a wide selection of handguns, shotguns, and even some automatic weapons to rent. It is not cheap but if you really have the bug bad it's a real nice range.

If you are in the West Palm Beach area there is a very nice indoor range that rents a BUNCH of different type handguns. It is called Academy Indoor Gun Range. It's right off I 95 in town. E-mail me for directions.

Dang. I was just in Orlando for the Rubber Expo at the Orange County Convention Center, just got back today 9/24. Went to Shooting Sports on 9/23 and went with the HK MP-5. Price was a bit stiff : $67 includes renting the gun (for the entire day), 100 rnds (reloads), targets, stall time, taxes. I probably could have saved ~$20-$30 if I would have gone to other ranges that I know of (not in FL) but I was there, the range was there, and I had nothing else better to do. (Actually heard about the range on CNN. Tourists from countries with restrictive gun laws frequent the place.) I'm sure I got gigged a bit being a tourist and all. GET A TOURIST GUIDE BOOK! They have a coupon in there for Shooting Sports that can save you a few bucks.

The reloads were a bit low impulse. Had two failure to extracts. Examining the casings had shown VERY little burn marks from the fluted chamber. Either the chamber is very dirty or the loads were very lite, probably both. I think I got shortchanged 8 rounds too. The fastest $67 I have ever spent. They have an AK there, not sure if it's full auto, and a couple M-16/9mms (not sure if this is the right designation). While my boss watched me shoot, apparently a few English or Australian tourists came in and inquired about shooting but were turned away because they had not had any type of identification (i.e., their visas/passports).

That International Drive is loaded with foreign tourists and the prices of everyday stuff can be described by one word : EXTREMETOURISTGOUGING. 2 liter Coke cost me $2.65! Great location though. Between Universal Studios, CWorld, DWorld, Epcot, etc.

- Ron V.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited September 24, 1999).]

Broward County: Big Al's Gun Range in Hallandale is the one I go to the most frequently. Hourly rates are cheap, range ammo is the least expensive I've seen anywhere (and it's factory-loaded stuff), and you have a decent range of weapons to rent (from a Glock to an AR-15).

And, it's open 7 days a week. They also sell guns and have several instructors on staff as well.

jth

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.

Gator Guns is an excellent facility located in West Palm Beach, FL. I used to do all of my shooting there until I moved to the Peoples Republic of Illinois.

The range is located on the corner of Military Trail and Okeechobee Rd. About 1 to 2 miles west of I-95. The guys there are the typical gun shop gurus you find in any shop. They all know it all and all they want to sell you is Smith & Wesson and Colt. Crap as far as I'm concerned. But the Range facility is top notch and as long as you follow the rules, they will prety much leave you alone.

Have a great time in the sunshine state.

Say hi to Jeb for me!!!

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back