Range/Target Pistol

satxman

A lot of good information here, no doubt.
I am ready to purchase a Range/Target/Competition pistol.

I have generally come down to two choices.

CZ 97B or a Springfield Custom Loaded High Cap. 1911-A1.

I really want in .45 and need 10 round mag. capacity. This is for fun and I do want to stay with the 1911 concept.

Also, what production ammo would you suggest?

Thanks to all of you! Great Forum.

Don't rule out the Para Ordnance. I have several and they have been very accurate and reliable. I shoot them all the time in competition and do just fine. The SA does use Para mags so finding some preban hicaps are not that big of a problem.

Ammo is a personal preference-mostly for the gun. You really have to try different ones to see what your gun likes best. For carry and defense loads, I have had good luck with Fed 230 gr Hydroshoks, Corbon 185gr, Triton 230gr, and even Fiocchi 200gr. But if you just want target and plinking ammo, buy cheaper ball stuff. It will generally work well enough for it's intended purpose.

Sorry for the late reply. So many forums and so little time.

:confused:

I want to do some Practical gaming. I really doubt I would want to make the committment to Bullseye, at least it looks to require some significant gun mods. and $. Wrong?

Yes and no. Most .45ACP bullseye guns need trigger work, a match barrel and bushing, and adjustable sights. You can have one put together for around a thousand bucks if you shop around. That's more than an IDPA or USPSA Lim-10 gun, but less than a full-on USPSA Open class blaster.

For practical stuff, either gun is a good choice. I've never much cared for how a double-stack 1911 felt in the hand, so I'd probably opt for the CZ. I love CZs.

I also might think about a single-stack 1911.

Any particular reason you want to stick with the .45 cartridge?

- Chris

Back