Range Safety Innovation

DaleA

I believe it’s the appropriate time (hint, hint) to post another missive from my friend Gunspurt who you may remember posted a treatise on selecting a handgun for self-defense one year ago.

Note: he has taken the advice of one of the posters here and changed the spelling of his nom de plume from Gunspert to Gunspurt.

Just as an aside, during the past year Gunspurt has managed to reassemble one of his double action revolvers. Before considering any gun for self-defense purposes Gunspurt completely disassembles the weapon, cleans the weapon, lubricates it with his own customized version of Ed’s Red and replaces all springs and any other parts, such as MIM parts, that he has deemed unreliable for a self-defense handgun. After a complete disassembly of a number of double action revolvers Gunspurt had failed to get any of them reassembled until early this year. However, because of the potentially unreliable nature of the reassembly work he still declines to consider revolvers for his own personal self-defense purposes. While his evaluations continue Gunspurt, as he has in the past, is currently carrying a big stick for self-defense.

Gunspurt’s current endeavor centers around a product he is developing for range safety. I leave you to his description of his latest efforts.

Just as the most important consideration for a self-defense handgun is reliability, the most important consideration for a shooting range is range safety.

It is my opinion, and the opinion of everyone I know, that the first and foremost consideration of any shooting range must be range safety.

To that end I am in the final stages of a range safety device that I feel confident will take the shooting world by storm. I see this device as having a prominent place at every military/civilian/police shooting range and even have plans for a version that would be suitable for home use too.

My device addresses the concern of the ‘unloaded’ firearm accidently going off.

I’m sure we’re all aware of many, many instances where someone claims a firearm is unloaded only to be proven to be mistaken in the most tragic way possible. While others have attempted to address this situation I believe my device offers a quick and easy and practically foolproof method to reliably insure the loaded/unloaded status of any firearm.

My apparatus consists of a tank of compressed air and an air hose with a trigger valve and an inline pressure gauge and a set of flexible cone shaped and nozzle shaped adapters that fit on the end of the air hose.

The concept is simplicity itself. You approach the ‘supposedly’ unloaded, action-open, firearm and fit the adapter at the end of the air hose over the muzzle. You open the air valve (there is a trigger on the air hose to do this) and air from the compressed air cylinder fills the barrel of the firearm. A check is made of the pressure gauge. If there is no round in the chamber then the compressed air just rushes through the barrel and the pressure gauge reads zero. If there is a round in the chamber then the pressure gauge will have a reading above zero and the firearm in question should be suspected of being loaded.

I think it is easy to see how this device either mounted on a back pack or some kind of two-wheeled trolley could quickly and easily work its way down a firing line insuring that all the guns on the line were really and truly unloaded.

While the overall concept of the device is quite easy to grasp the devil, as they say, is in the details. In this case it turned out to be the adapters that must be fitted to the firearms. For rifles, shotguns and semi-automatic pistols there are a variety of cone shaped adapters that easily attached to the end of the air hose and are simple held by hand pressure over the muzzle of the weapon being tested. A number of different sized cone-shaped adapters are needed to insure that one can obtain an air tight fit around the muzzle all types of rifles, shotguns and pistols no matter if they have any flash suppressors, BOSS devices, compensators, muzzle breaks etc.

Naturally for revolvers the muzzle adapter must be replaced with a chamber nozzle.

The chamber nozzle, as the name would suggest, is a tapered nozzle that fits into the chamber of the cylinder of the revolver. The chamber nozzles come in a variety of sizes and shapes so that there will always be a nozzle available to fit whatever revolver is encountered. For revolvers with swing-out cylinders the nozzle is inserted into the forward end of the cylinder and the test is made for each of the chambers in the cylinder. For single action or top-break revolvers the nozzle is inserted in the breech end of the revolver’s cylinder and the test is made for each chamber of the cylinder.

There was a consideration that the procedure for testing single action revolvers, which have to have the nozzle inserted through the loading gate, might be rather cumbersome, but I have determined that, while slower and a bit more fussy, the test does not impose an objectional or burdensome process.

After all, can you really object to any procedure that makes people safer?

Note: for the single action and top-break revolvers, or any firearm that requires the nozzle to be inserted into the breech end of the chamber, any cartridges in the cylinder must first be removed in order to conduct the test.

I am currently involved in the nit picky minutia of legal/production/insurance/marketing matters but I have high expectations for this device.

Dale has assured me this forum will give my invention all the attention it deserves.

Gunspurt
April 1, 2023

Somehow, I don't think creating a device that people would have to buy in order to do what they can do with their eye and fingers now, for free, is going to create much of an industry. :rolleyes:

I believe its a joke. April Fools!!

On the other hand, if it is a real, serious, thing (which I doubt) I'll be the LAST in line to buy one....:rolleyes:

I already use a blow-up party doll that accomplishes the same thing more or less, and is much cheaper--and won't kill everyone on the line in case a projectile is discharged into the pressurized source of air.

I have to confess that it was not my idea originally--a game cam in Maine caught a hunter headed to his stand with an inflated party doll (it was up on utube for a while).

Back