Range Report VI

An interesting weekend ...

Saturday:
We had the second leg of a tri-club shoot (Rimfire Field Rifle) at Southern Districts Rifle Club. Now, this is in the Darling Ranges to the east of Perth (about 35 miles out).

It poured rain!!! I haven't seen anything like it since I lived in the tropics. Then I realised -- it's only about 2 miles from one of the biggest Perth dams -- hence, in the catchment area. In the rainshed, no wonder it poured!!

It was cold, too -- and dark enough for headlights (headlamps??) at about 4.00 p.m.

The range is in a gravel "quarry" -- I've never heard so many ricochets in my life!!

Oh yeah ... the downside is we came second!!

Sunday:
We shot the inaugural rimfire Hunter class benchrest match at my Club. W..o..h!! That's a whole new ballgame!

One interesting thing we did find was the mismatch of ammo to rifles. The Club sells Winchester Winner, which has always been just "OK" in Field rifle, which is hardly a precision match. However, off the bench we found numerous examples of "flyers" (different rifles, different shooters -- all called the shot as good -- but found it a good inch away from point of aim). Some rifles shot it well, mine (Anschutz) didn't. I then tried Federal Gold Match -- no flyers but loose grouping. CCI Standard shot tighter, but still not a match winner.

Looks like a few dollars need to be spent to find a round it *does* like. (I know it likes Remington Green Target, but it's nearly impossible to obtain).

Shot a 226/250 which put me ninth out of 14!!! The winner (inaugural shoot, remember) shot a 243/250. The ammo -- an "unknown" European brand called "SK" at only $5.00 for 50.

Hmmmm ... head-scratching time.

B

B

Well my range report is that we still have no range. Something is happening on that front with politicians being helpful hopefully I will know something concrete next week.
When that happens Bruce i can tell you how bad a shot I am, I also have an Anschtz .22, great guns they are.
Also hunter class benchrest ? doesn't make much sense to me. Hunter and benchrest don't really go together. I didn't think benchrest shooters owned any rifles that would fit in hunter class :)

------------------
intelligent survival discussion at http://www.gun-center.com/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=survival

I haven't done a damn bit of real shooting in almost two weeks.
But, I did get to try out Smith & Wesson's new "adult Pellet Pistols". These guns are very precise replicas of the 586 and 685 L Frame Revolvers. Function is identical to the real thing, including single and double action ability. The hammer actually does initiate the firing, so you can manually decock the hammer, just like a DA revolver.
The main diffrenceI've found is that the single action trigger is not nearly as nice as a real Smith Revolver, and the Cylinder rotates counter clockwise, like a Colt.

I see great training potential for these guns, for someone who is new to guns, especially revolvers. The gun is the same wieght and dimensions as the real thing, and is available in 4, 6 and 8" barrels. They fit in any holster designed for the appropriate length 586/686.
The guns are made in Germany under License from S&W and seem to be of very high quality. They come in a nice plastic case, with fitted padded sections for the Gun, 2 cyclinders (10 pellets each),manual, 2 C02 cartridges, a nicely marked tin of 200 .177 cal pellets.

The gun is accurate as well. I shot it out to about 15 yards and was able to nail soda cans without a problem. I shot a sub 2 inch group of 10 at about 10 yards on paper.

I have 2 of each barrel length, which Smith sent as donations to IMCS#3. We will be having a side event there using these guns, as the range does not allow any metallic cartridge shooting (shotgun only). Smith also sent a few 586s/686s to be used as prizes at the event. We will be giving away most of the Pellet guns as prizes too. Yes, I said most ;).

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited June 21, 1999).]

Follow-up on .22 LR ammo:

Took a few different brands out to the range and put 'em downrange over the bench.

Results
Remington Green Target = no flyers. Group size oval horizontal about 25mm at 50 yards

Diamond Blue = forget it -- just as many fliers as others

CCI Stinger = 2"high and 1" to left. Group size approx. 37mm

Winchester high-speed (Australian-made) = on point of aim, about 25 mm group.

SK Standard = single hole, about 20mm

SK Match = single hole, about 15mm

Prices?
SK Standard $5 Aus ($3.50US) for 50
SK Match $6.50 Aus ($4.30US) for 50
Remington $7.00 Aus ($4.60US) for 100

Shooting three-positional this weekend: should be interesting. I'll let you know.

B

Back