RANGE REPORT: USP Expert 9mm......part 1: breaking it in...

krispijn_s

Inactive
OK, I don't know if this should be here, but at the end of this post I have some questions; so I figured it is ok to post it here (if not: sorry, moderators):

Just got back from the range. Tried my new H&K USP Expert. Coming into the cantina, all heads turned when they saw my beautiful piece of tactical tupperware. Comments like: "feels nice", "looks very good", "high-quality" and "doesn't really feel like a plastic gun" where beginning to get normal. After I was finished showing it off I noticed it was already getting late so: Lets get to it !!(since there was a training class planned within the hour)

The Ammo: Today I used two kinds

PMC 115 gr. FMJ
and
Norinco 124 gr. FMJ (yes, that's right: Norinco)
(I'll get back to this later)

Shooting it:
OK, I was not able to shoot one-handed, since I had been to the gym that morning (stupid stupid stupid). I only shot in the Weaver-stance. Although, due to limited range-time, I was able to shoot only 100 rounds, I got a fairly good impression. I noticed some things: first, the trigger. I thought it was quite long. Almost no creep and it was light, but to me it was long. Second, the grip....very very nice. I'm used to shoot Glocks (17's), but this is entirely different. Not just me but everyone who handled it was very positive about the grip. If I remembered correctly someone in this forum (or was it the HKPRO-forum?), said the he thought that the beavertail was to smooth. Well, I haven't had any problems with that. Which brings me to the next item: ammo. The PMC is fairly light ammo, with relatively slow burning powder. Gives a nice muzzle flash. But it was unable to function well in a NIB Expert. Got 10 stovepipes out of 50 rounds fired (it was not my grip, since I let 2 other people fire with the same ammo (one of them is a firearms instructor) and they to got stovepipes). Firing the PMC out of an Expert felt the same as firing .22 LR out of my High-Standard. The Norinco is a whole other story. I was positively surprised by this ammo. Very spunky and not as dirty as I expected it to be. The Expert functioned flawless with this ammo. I put al rounds in the black at 25 yards but the group was fairly large (about 2.5" - 3"). But I'm an average shooter. My instructor, however, was able to make a tiny group of 1.5"! Putting 4 bullets through the same hole...talk about accuracy. That covers about my hour at the range. I heard some people talk in the cantina about how the triggerpull would grow better after I put like a 1000 rounds through it. Here's my question to you: have you experienced the same with your USP Match/Expert/Tactical trigger or do I just have to get use to it?? And would you put 9mm+P ammo through your USP 9? I'd like to know if there are other good, not to expensive, brands of ammo out there who make a spunky 9x19...and of course I'm still searching for a holster..suggestions are welcome.
Expect a part 2...

Greets from Holland

Krispijn

--------------------------------
Heckler & Koch USP Expert 9x19
High Standard .22

That long trigger travel is typical for the HK USPs which is why I prefer to carry all of my V1s (45Tactical, 45Compact, and 40Full Size) cocked and locked. That trigger will smooth out but will not shorten.

Back