Range report:Traditions .50 cal flintlock Kentucky rifle kit

jrfoxx

Range Reprt:
Poof...BOOM..cough cough :D:D:D
What else is there to say? :D

Ok, for real now.I thought I liked shooting black powder when I got my "Crocket" percussion pistol, but I am DEFINITELY hooked now. The kit was $229 out the door, and only needed enough work to make it fun, but not enough to be too time consuming, difficult, or frustrating.It looks great, and is the most fun rifle I have EVER fired, and is surprisingly accurate.The delay from the trigger being pulled, to the pan igniting, to the rifle firing, is not NEARLY as long as I had expected, and while it is a little more challenging to shoot than any other rife I've ever fired,you get used to it pretty fast. I actually enjoy the delay for its dramatic effect, and it's a good guide to see if you are flinching or pulling the shot. Also, recoil is extremely mild,even at 100gr of FFFG Goex, and the deep BOOM is very cool sounding and unique compared to modern cartridge guns.I was also surprised that I didnt have a single time when the pan or main charge failed to go off out of about 30 shots today.I think I have found my new favorite gun, and I have a feeling it will stay my favorite for a long time.If you are looking for something a little different, inexpensive, customizeable, accurate, and fun as all git out, I HIGHLY recommend getting one of these.
Thanks for endulging me, I'm just still really excited and giddy from shooting this thing for the first time today.Just TOO much fun....
Here's a pic. I used minwax "classic oak" stain and just a very thin coat of tung oil to bring out the grain and seal the wood a little, and with only the tinyest hint of a shine.The barrel was blued with Brownell's Oxpho-blue creme.Man is that stuff great.By far THE BEST, and easiest to use cold bue I've ever tried.
Kentuckyrifle.jpg

Sounds like a good price, were did you get it? Is it set up for patched balls or conicals? How accurate is it?

My first was also a kit gun. From small things, great things can happen.

BTW, I know a fellow who once took the Florida State Championship with a cheap (inexpensive) Spanish gun. It pissed off a lot of people who had fancy custom guns and equipment. It's the man, not the equipment. Learn to use that gun well and it'll give you a lifetime of pleasure.

H&R088--I got it from here: http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?CatID=2&ShowLevel=1 they are about a 10 minute drive from me.REALY nice and helpful older couple owns it.Great people, great service.I HIGHLY recommend them.I use patched balls.As for accuracy, I was hitting in or touching 1.5" diameter bull with every shot (frm a bench witha rest) a 50 yds, so It's likely capable of more accuracy than I will be able to do for quite a while.Accuracy seemed unchanged whether I used 70gr or 100gr (and several charges in between) of FFFG Goex.That was wih .490 balls and .010 patches. .015 may do even better (.010 patches weren't very "tight" when loading), but I haven't tried them yet.

Thanks for the link jrfoxx. I may get one of those for muzzleloading season this year. Not sure if I should get a percussion of flintlock though. If I got a flintlock, I could use it if I ever moved to some place that requires flintlocks. Does the flintlock blast you in the face with stuff from the flash pan? I think the percussion would be better in that respect, right? I don't know how they fired those flintlocks in the old days without glasses, and I don't really like taking glasses along when deer hunting.

Honestly, I expected to get a face full of burnt powder, smoke, flash, etc from the pan, but in every shot, I got none of it.Dont know if it was luck, or if it just SEEMS like you'd get a facefull, but no one ever really does.Either way, I had no issues at all.

I'm new to this site but flintlocks are near and dear to me. I've not used a modern firearm for hunting in 14 years and have used flinters for 6 years. I know you said you liked the dramatic effect of the pause but a flinter can be made to perform without the pause. A little less powder in the pan may be all that is needed, fill the pan 1/3 to 1/2 full with the bulk of the powder to the outside of the pan. Just have a few grains trailing back to the touchhole. Using this method of priming has mine firing with one sound. A slightly larger touch hole or one tapered from the inside would speed up ignition also.

I get less stuff blowing back at me from the flinters since the main charge faces to the side. The percussion rifles vent towards your face. If you have started with flints you are well and truly doomed. Everything else will pale in comparison.

YMOS,
Tony

Back