Range report....sigh

cornered rat

Went to the range to re-zero my mini14 after a gun shop lost my rear sight. I also brought my Model 80 Marlin bolt .22

I found out that of the four magazines I bought from Marlin to add to the on old mag, only two fit. One won't stay in the magazine well, one would fit and not come out without much trouble.

I adjusted the iron sights on the mini and, as I fixed the settings, one of the two screws holding the rear sight elevation broke in half...the sight still stays, but I wonder how securely. Can anyone tell me what kind of screws mini 14 ranch uses?

Tried to sight in the scope....found it comes loose every shot or two. Next lane folks suggested welding it to the receiver. I ended up using locktite and waiting and it worked.

I also found out that I can do better with a revolver than with the mini off-hand. My results off a rest were not much better....hands shake too much. Maybe I was hungry, maybe out of practice, who knows. I did MUCH better with the marlin 80. ALl I know is that I amno rifleman. Better read Secret Squirrel's gifts (he sent me US Army pistol and rifle marsmanship manuals) and see what I am doing drong. Then again, is a 1" group at 25mm without reason for Mini14?

Damn, that barrel heats up fast! OTOH, at least I had no magazine-related malfunctions...

a 1" group at 25mm sucks. at 25 mm you should be able to put all you shots into 1 hole.

If I'm right in thinking you got excited and hit the 'm' button 1 to many times, I don't know about 1" groups at 25M, but it can't be that bad.

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

I can put three rounds into the same hole at that range with iron sights on my .303
When I last zeroed the mini I did get 1/2" group...these days my hands shake too much, not sure why.

Hey Rat, I think 1" at 25m is okay for a mini. That equates to 4" at 100m. That's plenty accurate for what a mini was made for, plinking or self defense. So many people pooh-pooh that kind of accuracy in a self defense rifle. I look at it as acceptable PRACTICAL accuracy. I haven't seen an AK 47 get better accuracy than that, and everyone LOVES the AK 47......

BTW, Williams makes a much better rear sight for the RR, you can get it at CTD or Brownell.

[This message has been edited by Gino (edited August 06, 1999).]

Rat,
Sometimes I would get up on a Saturday morning and drink a couple of strong cups of coffee on an empty stomach and then later at the range wonder why I was getting patterns instead of groups with my pistols.

If I cut back on the coffee and eat something before I go, it seems to help me quite a bit. I'm just an average shooter so I need all the help I can get.

rat,

I get those kinds of groups with my AR, so i'd say its preety good, but I am not what you would consider a very good shot. and I go through coffee withdraw on the weekends

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

cr, To answer your question about the screws that hold on the cheap washer that Ruger calls a sight, I believe they are 2-48 pan heads. But Gino's suggestion about the Williams is a very good one. I have found the Williams to be priced about $10 less at Natchez than at any other retailer. They probably won't list them on their web site ( www.natchezss.com ) but you can get the phone no. there.

I agree with all others, your groups aren't out of line for the mini-14. I have found that if you want to see what the rifle will really do, load the cartridges one at a time in the chamber and let the bolt slam on them. I can shave at least 1" off the groups this way at 100 yds. My theory is that if the bullets all start off equally instead of being pushed into the chamber from one side and then the other, they tend to shoot more evenly.

Back