Range Report SA 1911

Mark O

I took my new SA 1911 to the range today for the first time.After the first couple of magazines I finaly got a feel for the gun and wasn't doing half bad,and surprisingly I had an easier time staying on target than I have with my 9mm BHP MK III.The recoil was more of a push rather than a snap that I'm used to with the 9mm.Way easier to control.

I was shooting Speers Lawman 230 gr.When I got to the second box I started getting stovepipes on the last round.I went through half the box like this and finaly just started loading six rounds at a time,no stovepipes that way.My last fifty rounds were Federal 230 gr.,this time no stovepiping and it seemed to be a bit more accurate.

Is this common thing to happen when breaking in a new 1911,or was it the ammo,or a combination of both?Or maybe me?

Yup - first thing you do with those factory mags is toss them out.
Wilson Combat 7 rounders function PERFECTLY. 8 Rounders do well too - but I'ld avoid them during the break in phase. After 500 rounds they should be a good option for you.
I like to use White Lithium Grease along the rails during the break in period as well.

I was afraid that's what it was,good thing I found out now I was going to order a bunch more from SA.The coupons I got with the purchase has some pretty good discounts on magazines.What can I expect to pay for Wilson's?I'm interested in 10 rounders to,this is my first 1911 and I'm not used to reloading after 7.How about Shooting Star mags?I've heard good things about those.
Its kind of disapointing when the magazines that came with the gun do this.
Thanks for the heads up!

The Shooting Stars are OKAY but I am not big on those colt pattern followers... I like the Wilsons, MecGar, Metalform, etc that have a curved and contoured follower. If you look at two differnet mags, you can see the difference.
Once of the shooting rags had something about 1911 mags quite recently... GUNS or American Handgunner I think...
Also stop by a good gunshop with a good magazine selection and compair these guys side to side.
A lot of single stack 10 round magazines are proven to be less reliable... For fighting, i'ld stick to 8s and not push my luck...
However - if your hellbent on a 10 round magazine - get a magazine with a good follower and replace the spring with a constant force spring.

Actually I just want the 10 rounders for the range.I'm just so used to standard cap mags with other guns that I felt like I was just getting going with seven and was ready to send more before reloading.
Thanks again.

FWIW, you might try a little Tetra gun grease on the mag lips. Put on a little, and rub it off, a teflon-like residue remains, really seems to slick up feeding, lasts well. Probably not as good a fix as new mags, but cheaper, might be worth a try.

Bri

I tried posting a pic of mags that Gil Hebard sells,Metalform has 10 rd mags for $16.50 for blue and $20
for stainless, these have a round steel follower.they also have 7&8 shot mags,they also make one with a rubber follower
which I think sucks,have one and can't drop the mag release
after last shot, rubber grabs and have to drop mag to load
new mag, so I have 20 7 shot metal followers and they never
fail,nothing like G.I. flat follower which seem to need a
bend once in awhile.oh and those are retail prices, they sell for $8 for the 7 rd,$11 for the blue 10, and$13.40 for
stainless 10 rd.

Back