Range Report Redux with new used 686 6" Six-shooter

Rogervzv

Well, after successfully range testing my 686 6" 6-shooter (which I bought gently used from the LGS consignment table) I decided to get a trigger job done. I have found that a S&W with a good trigger job is well-neigh impossible to beat. As usual, Mike at West Coast Gunworks came through, and the trigger action is lighter and smooth as silk. More importantly, 100% reliable shooting 21 .357s and about 150 .38 Specials.

A good trigger job on an S&W just really makes the gun a pleasure to shoot. With some practice I should be able to get groups as good as a good semi-auto. At times I really found myself getting into a groove with the 686.

The limitations at 10 yards are all mine and not the gun's, but here is the best target of the lunch hour -- shooting double action at 2 second intervals and speed loaders.

Last edited:
"With some practice I should be able to get groups as good as a good semi-auto."

I presume that is a joke. Few center-fire semi-autos will be as accurate as a good revolver. That ten-yard group should be one ragged hole if you do your part.

Jim

Back