Range report: Hogue Comp Stock and Federal Tactical shells

Mr. Pub

I have a Remmington 870 HD, 12 ga., 18 1/2" barrel. The first time I shot it with the factory stock and regular 2 3/4" shells - it was not a pleasant experience. I was able to shoot accurately, but it had nauseating recoil that made me not want to shoot it often.

I found that when I added a Hogue comp stock http://www.getgrip.com/main.html
(check catalog under shotgun stocks)

and used Federal's Tactical Low Recoil slugs, available at http://www.ammoman.com/
(available other places though, there is some confusion as to which is which. I can vouch for ammoman having the right stuff)

The recoil was now reduced to slightly less than a 30.06 rifle. The sound is the same, just not the body jarring recoil. In fact I was able to shoot from a bench rest to test the accuracy of the slugs at 100 yards.

It’s not a gimmick, it really works. However some people like heavy recoil, but then again they probably drive their car or truck without shock absorbers. :) :)

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pub (edited October 03, 2000).]

Thanks for the T&E,Mr Pub. Does the stock add much weight over the er,stock stock?
And,have you tried some other loads to see how they do with this? Maybe some light trap loads?

Hi Dave. The Hogue stock weighs about the same as the standard stock. It has a soft rubber finish to it. The only metal in the stock is the bolt to attach it and the recoil chain & spring.

I have only shot it twice since I bought it. So I don't have a good apples to apples comparison. Before I put the stock on, I shot Winchester game load 1 oz 7 1/2 and 4 Buck. After I put the stock on I shot Winchester foster slugs and federal tactical low recoil slugs. This was all paper target shooting.

My wild a** guess as to reduction in recoil would be 1/3 attributed to the stock and 1/3 attributed to the low recoil ammo from Federal.

I don't want to sound overly enthusiastic, but for me the combo of the stock and low recoil ammo lowered recoil enough to make me want to shoot it regularly.

Thanks, Pub. Also,I'm willing to wager the Hogue has a slightly larger pad on it. Greater surface area=less percieved kick. You may want to compare them.

Actually, the pads are the exact same size. I measured them. The Hogue pad seems to be made of a softer rubber and has a hollow feel to the middle of the pad vs. the standard 870 stock.

The rubber is so soft, it kind of sticks to your shirt when you pull it away from your shoulder. I don't know how this would work in an outdoor environment (raining etc.). It meets my needs.

I thought I read where Hogue had a free trial program for leo agencies. Perhaps your old organization could try one out for you for free.

Thanks, Pub. As for my old agency, they went for a decade before they got anything for the Model 64s we used that was fit for a smaller hand.The folks doing the ordering had big hands, so they got the biggest neoprene grip Pachmyer had. The fact that the females had trouble with them was held up as "evidence" that women couldn't shoot.

After I left training, some hotshot bought slings for the towers that were bandoliers. Imagine trying to use a shotgun in a crisis with a lb or more of weight swinging freely a foot beneath the weapon. The tower shotguns still held only the standard 4+1, and had only standard length stocks. Did I mention our guard force was 40% female?

MD DOC was set firmly in the 50s, in the 90s.

Mr. Pub:

I really like mine. Balanced my gun perfectly and easy to adjust for fit. The rubber material is great. I feel that I can grip it with more certainty than the standard stock. I don't know how to describe what I experience with regards to the texture of the rubber used. Anyway, Vang + Comp is great for me. Just need to shoot more.

I have to agree on the rubber. It is more sticky than the standard butt pad. I noticed with the standard stock it would slip slightly after each shot. Not so with the Hogue. I also got the rubber forend which allows me to grip and operate it better.

Hogue Comp-Stock

Update..

My 870 was my only shotgun, but now I can compare the recoil of the 870/Comp-Stock to an 1100. The 870 is a pussycat compared to the 1100 and the 1100 is a pussycat compared to a standard stock 870.

Back