Range report = Glock M-20 - Para P-14 - Sig 229.

12-34hom

I have to qualify on friday, for the agency i currently work for. We are allowed to carry what ever weapon we chose.

I have three that i will be taking out to the range friday.

#1. Glock M-20 in 10mm that i have been carrying up to this time.
#2. Para P-14 ltd, in 45acp.
#3. Sig 229 in 357 sig.

Ammo used, for 10mm & 45acp; Collins Cartridge company 185 grain 45acp; 10mm 165 grain. 357 sig; Winchester "white box" 125 grain.

All of my shooting was done from th 25 yard line, Supported & offhand shooting.

The Para performed as usual, flawlessly, accurate in the extreme, 1911 feels great in the hand. The hi-cap mags that i have purchased for this weapon make qualifing easier. But i have found that this weapon & three high cap mags add mucho weight to an already heavy duty belt. Other than the weight, and carrying :cocked & locked" [some folks have problem with this.]

The Glock was next, out of the three, this weapon is poorest performer accuracy wise, this is not say it's bad but compared to the Para & Sig it fell short of thier mark. I LOVE the 10mm round and this one of the main reasons for buying and carrying this weapon. Other than the one reason i listed, the Glock is excellent combat weapon. I also have three hi-cap mags for it and the Glocks light weight, reliability, easy maintenance, makes it hard to say no too.

The big suprise was the Sig! I have not shot this weapon alot, [about 100 rounds total up tp today] and i found this pistol one sweet shooter....:) In fact, this pistol almost edged out the Para in the accuracy department!!! I let three other officers shoot this weapon and every one loved it. [The deputies here shoot Glock M-31 in 357 sig,] From a supported position i could put all ten rounds into a circle 4 inches in diameter at 25 yards. Offhand it grew to around eight inches. We also had eight inch diameter steel plates that i had no problem hitting 6 out of 10 times at around 50 yards. The drawback with this weapon is the price of ammo...:( i bought a box of 50 [Speer lawman] and it priced out to 19.95!, the Winchester white box was around 14.50 for 50 rounds. I'm going to make it a point to practice alot more with this weapon, i currently carry it for my main CCW weapon, but it might be going on duty real soon.

We shoot a fifty round F.B.I. course, and last time i shot a 246 out of 250 with the Glock. So why take the other??? hmmmmmm, I just like to have other choices should i feel the need; i guess. Any comments or suggestions from interested parties?? Thanks for any replies or comments you might have. 12-34hom.

Speer ammo.

Weshoot2, i can't find ANY Speer ammo for 357 sig around where i live. I went with Corbon 125 grainers when i carry this weapon off duty.

If you don't like the ammo cost of .357SIG, just get a factory .40S&W barrel for about $100 and pick up a 500 rounds of .40 for around $80. That's $180 or about 13 boxes of .357SIG!

I had the same results as you. A guy at the range let me try his SIG 229 in 357. Before this, I had never touched a 229 in any caliber before (not even to hold it at the shop). First 5 rounds shot semi-rapid fire at 10 yds, went into a circle that I completely covered up with a quarter!!! Needless to say, I will be buying a 229 in 357SIG next. Since then, I've used the 229 in .40 a few times and could not duplicate the same results as the 357. The recoil on the 229 (357) was less than that of my Glock 19. My Glock 31 kicks slightly more than my G19, but not by much.

Back