Range report... Glock 27

krept

Something must be terribly wrong...

For some reason, I shot just as accurate with the G27 as I did with my USP .45. Amazing. Even kept all shots in the chest area at 25 yards. Recoil was much less than I expected, although the 155gr Gold Dots were pretty snappy.

Over 200+ rounds, no malfunctions whatsoever.

This is my first Glock, and I think I might get more. Help.

I've got to join in here, as I've just gotten my first Glock as well. It, too is a G-27. Shot pretty well, I'd say though I've done better with autos. As this was the first 50 rounds, I was playing around a bit with faster and slower cadence, trying to get the feel of the gun.

I did rest my arms on the table for one group and put 4 in a 2.5" circle with the usual outlier for the 5th bullet from about 15 yards. I'd say the gun is pretty accurate. Overall, not a bad outing for the first time with this gun, particularly with the very different trigger.

Tom

My first Glock was a G23 but still...
they're great guns, aren't they?

I'm never parting from mine.

I rented out a G27 a few months ago and shot pretty well with it. I'm still debating as to when (in the order of things) I should buy it.

Decisions, decisions...
:D

Big fan of the 27. I think it's one of the most remarkable combinations of accuracy, size, power, and reliability going today.

I wouldn't say I shoot my 27 better than my USPc, but we're talking apples to oranges and .45s to .40s.

Somebody at Glock screwed up. They obviously forget to tell the 27 it was a small gun, so it doesn't know to act like one.

I currently own...

...the G27's slightly more flamethrowing cousin, the G33. I've fired all the mini-Glocks, and also own the slightly bulkier 10mm G29 and .45 G30. Just an amazing bunch of CCW pistols; the direct and unintended consequences of the anti's big mag-gelding victory.

"Ten rounds!?! Okay, how small can we shrinkwrap a pistol around a ten round magazine..."

As a side note...

The trigger on the Glock did not bother me a bit as it did before. Perhaps it was a combination of dry firing for almost a week or the fact that I was stuck with my decision and had to like it. Really, it was easy to like once I saw it was a shooter. Coming from a 1911 to HK to Glock, I do have some knowledge of what a decent trigger on a pistol feels like. Using the short reset of the Glock trigger the "proper" way as taught to me by an instructor that happened to be around the Glockmeister booth helped me understand the mechanics of the spongy trigger in a very different light.

And yes, Tamara, I did take a hard look at the G29 and almost, almost walked away with one. The slightly smaller dimensions of the 27 is what ultimately sold me above the USP Compact and the G29 (looked very, very long at the G29, but glad I stuck with the G27 for now). To be honest, those Gold Dots really got my attention out of the 27... I'm almost hooked enough to seriously consider the fullsize 10mm (G20?) as an outdoor carry pistol and relegate the USP to home defense. Sounds like a good reason for another purchase to me :D

I too own a G-27; and as I have stated previously, they tend
to make one a "Glock Lover".:D:) An excellent CCW firearm.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

My G27 was more accurate than my USP 40 or 45 at 25 yds. One word of caution if you are using the stock recoil spring assy. Keep a close eye on signs of frame battering. Mine began to show signs at 400rds.

I definately do like my G-27. I cannot let it out of my sight, not even for a minute. :)

A couple of curious questions:

1. Am I the only one that can only get 8 rounds in my 9-round clip?

2. Krept or anyone, is there an online source to describe this "short reset" method of shooting the Glock. Heck, I'd appreciate any information WRT improving my shooting technique, be it from books, the net, videos or personal instruction.

I have to confess that I'm more in tune with my Rifle than with pistol slinging. :) But sometimes, bad guys aren't cooperative and won't hold still a couple of hundred yards away. Imagine that!

Tom

stock assembly question and short reset technique

Tom B, when you replaced the stock assembly, did you use the steel rod and a heavier spring? Was it a captive or non-captive assembly? Any reason to prefer one or the other? I am thinking about going with a stronger spring when I get a 357 Sig bbl, but am not quite sure if I want to go with the noncaptive assembly.

Splorer Tom, in a nutshell, this is how it was explained to me. On a verified empty pistol, remove the magazine and cock the action. Now pull the trigger, but do not let it travel forward after pulling (keep trigger depressed). Using your weak hand, rack the slide again to reset the action. Now SLIGHTLY release pressure on the trigger until you feel that little click. At this point, the trigger is ready to release the striker again.

I was told the following: doing this over time will develop muscle memory in your finger and you will become more efficient in your trigger stroke so you do not have to wait for the slide to return to full battery before waiting to move your finger forward to hear that click. It will naturally return to the same general area, eliminating much of the "squishiness" that is felt if you let the trigger return to the full distance before firing each shot.

Keep in mind, this is only what I was told, but so far it has served me well at the range. Rapid fire is very quick and I feel my accuracy improved as well do to the shortened pull. Obviously, I have not yet come to the point where I have the learned muscle memory for the reset, but at no time in 200+ did I short stroke the trigger. The relative snappiness of the .40 resets the action very quickly.

I welcome any input or insight if I described the technique wrong... I heard described only once when I was filling out the paperwork.

(BTW, it is my understanding that the magazines of the G27 use G23 magazine springs, so you might have trouble fitting that last round in. I opted for the +1 extension has I have wide hands... no new spring was needed and 10 rounds go relatively easily into the magazine. I do have the original floorplates for optimal concealed carry, however and do practice with them even though the +1 extension feels much better.)

Krept, thanks much for the explanation. I'll have to practice that a bit.

Pate, does the short length of the grip constitute the reasoning behind your not liking it? I agree that it is short, but that is a feature without which the gun would become much more conspicuous in a CCW situation. I've added the Pearce grip extender and I find the fit in my hand to be excellent. Of course that makes the gun less concealable, but where I live, you can't conceal anyway.

YMMV, of course, as no two person's hands are exactly the same. I like mine, otherwise I would not have bought it.

Tom

No, SplorerTom, you're not the only person who has trouble getting all 9 rounds in the magazine. I'm starting to think Glock should include an automotive-mileage disclaimer that says, "Your actual capacity may vary." :)

In truth, that ninth round <i>will</i> go in, but just barely. Whether or not you'll be able to fully insert it with the slide forward is another matter. If you can seat it, whether or not you'll be able to rack the slide afterwards is even more questionable.

The usual advice seems to recommend leaving the magazine fully loaded and letting the spring soften up a bit.

Now, personally, if I ever have to change magazines under stress, the absolute LAST thing I want to deal with is a magazine that's reluctant to help out. I keep mine loaded with 8 and console myself with the fact that 8+1 is what my .45 holds and still 3 more than my revolver holds. :)

Pate, I agree the 27 grip is a little less than ergonomically ideal. The Pearce extender helps a bunch, but I shot a two-day defensive pistol course with it and the high backstrap swell had my palm hurtin' when it was all over. Still, for such a small pistol, it's not too bad.

I traded mine while it still had the stock recoil assembly so I didn't have a chance to see what was available aftermarket.

The problem with the grip isn't the length (the point is for it to be compact, after all) but the hump on the backstrap. I don't understand how anyone with hands larger than those of a young child's can fit his palm between the tang and the hump. The backstrap should look similar to that of a 23 or 22 that has been cut off.

Back