Range Report: DW 44 Magnum

The following is a range report for my new 6" and 8" Dan Wesson model 44. Great gun. Just a few minor problems...

-------------

Since I already had the 8" barrel installed and adjusted, I started out my session with it using some of my (rather crude) handloads. These heavy loads were worked up when I first started handloading on my first press, a Lee Hand Press. I seated the primers with an RCBS hand primer, thus causing my first problem of the day. The firing pin on my old Blackhawk must have had deeper penetration for I had never experienced a failure to fire with it. Some of the primers were seated too deep for the Wesson causing three failures. My mistake. The weapon shoots factory ammo, and most of my other handloads with no problem.

Recoil was insane. I've never been recoil sensative, but today I had to really concentrate on trigger control. This wheelgun bucks like a mule. The full-lug shroud helped some, as did the Houge Monogrip. But overall, recoil was brutal. I even skipped a few charge holes just to see if I was flinching..... I was.

When I changed over to the six inch tube, things got REALLY hot. Weak hand only drills are totally out of the question with this barrel in place. Strong hand only drills are only marginally better. I guess I got spoiled on 45ACP recoil or something. This big sixgun beat me up this morning.

Loads used were my handloads (240 grain hardcast SWC powered by 20.6 grains of 2400, lit off with a standard Winchester Large pistol primer) a max load according to Alliant's 1998 freebie booklet, as I recall. Also used were factory PMC 44 spl JHPs, a true pleasure to shoot and very accurate. Used some factory PMC 44 Mag JHPs and some factory yellow-box Remington 180 grain soft points. Those 180s sure to flash/blast! Even in the bright sunlight, there was a massive fireball.

Accuracy was ho-hum. Not impressive with either barrel. This was obviously due to my lack of trigger control. Hopefully this will improve. I was getting 4" groups at 25 yards. Not good at all, considering this is a LONG range gun. I will work on trigger discipline.

One problem with the gun.... When returning from a DA shot, the trigger hangs about halfway to the reset point. Just a tap on it will free it up and it will come forward. Very annoying! Anybody know how to take the trigger group out? I think some Tetra Grease will cure it, but I don't want to screw anything up trying to take it apart without knowing the procedure.

Here's a pic. Items included in the photo are: The DW with the six incher installed, the eight inch tube/shroud above, a Buck 105 Pathfinder knife, the barrel wrench, and three factory 240gr JSPs.

Attachments

• nov28$02.jpg
    nov28$02.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 106
WESHOOT2,

Just to test the cylinder length issue more in-depth, I dug up some Georgia Arms 300gr JSPs. These loads are meant ONLY for long cylindered guns and have a super long OAL. They worked just fine. Only had a couple and didn't record the accuracy or the OAL, but as I recall they had an acceptable recoil level.

FYI.

Many years ago I had a DW 15 and the trigger would occasionally hang. I never figured out why or how to correct it.

Great to hear you like your Dan.

In order to get used to the gun would recommend shooting some .44 Specials. Light recoil, will give you a chance to get used to the gun before using the "good" stuff.
As for the trigger return, my guess there is a burr or sharp edge catching. DW 44 Mags are solid frames, there is no sideplate. To remove the trigger assembly drift out the pin under the grip and slide the assembly out. Be carefull and watch for springs and little parts. The owners manual should have a pretty good exploded diagram. If you don't have a manual contact Dan Wesson or drop an e-mail and I can fax or send one.
As to a painfull handgun to shoot, try one of the old S&W Model 29s with the cut checkered grips. Not only do you get slammed but the gun will draw blood as well.
Enjoy the Dan and keep us posted.
Take Care

Back