Range Report CZ-52

Mike P. Wagner

Me- relatively new to shooting. I rented and shot about every two weeks for the first 6-8 months of last year, then high school band season hit, and I didn't have time to breathe. When I shot, I liked a SIG P239 in .357 SIG the most of what I rented.

Ammo - New S & B 7.62x25 Tokarev (non-corrosive), not miliary surplus "hot".

Pistol - CZ-52, buit in 1953, and I don't think it's been re-arsnaled, from the markings. I was also built in 1953, and I haven't been rearsenaled.

I took it out today for the first time and shot 150 rnds. It was exactly the pistol I was looking for. It 's a "hoot to shoot"m, with a statifying boom, and a decent muzzle blast. it does throw ammo as hard and far as I had heard.

One time, the slide did not lock back after the last round in the magazine had been fired. No other failures. Every time I pulled the trigger, it went "bang", or "boom."

It appear to be more accurate than I am (which is all I can know, right now). I shoot from a more or less Weave stance, and when I did everything right, it sent the bullet through the center of the target. When I didn't, it didn't. It seemed to me to be more accurate than any of the weapons I've rented, but I'm such a neophyte that that doesn't really mean very much.

SA is definitely cool, but it 's still a heavy trigger pull. I will give it 1000 rounds or so, and hope that things smooth out a little. I may also go ahead and install one of the http://www.makarov.com firing pins, as I understand that helps with trigger pull.

All in all, I had a blast. And I feel like I pretty much found exactly the weapon I was looking for. I understand it's limitatations for a lot of things I don't do, but for what I do, it's very cool.

Count me a very happy customer tonight. I am also very glad that I spent the time reading TFL that I have in the last year, and renting what I rented. I think that I would have bought a very different weapon a year ago, and not been nearly as happy.

Mike P. Wagner

Mike, I am glad to hear that you like your CZ52. I love mine like there is no tommorow. They are definately tack drivers, given the crappy trigger pull, but Karl at Makarov.com can fix you up on that. Mine has been rearsenaled a couple of times. Mine was built in 1954 and apparently it has seen a lot of use. I bought it with all serial numbers matching meaning it still had the orginal barrel I suppose. I knew the bore was worn when I bought it and eventually (within a year) one of the rollers on the barrel would fall out when I would clean the gun. It was time for a new barrel as also accuracy was clean out of the window so to speak. Order a Federal Arms barrel from Karl and also the hardened Harrington steel rollers as the Korean rollers are "soft" on the Federal Arms barrel. I dropped the new barrel and rollers in and low and behold I cannot miss the target if I tried. Yes they are a lot of fun at the range not to mention how the "fire ball" gets attention from other shooters. I now shy away from surplus ammo in this caliber as most of it was SMG ammo and have extremely hard primers. The CZ52 can definately handle this type of ammo but I think it is needless wear on the barrel and for the hard primers, it is not doing your firing pin any good, especially if it is the original firing pin or a surplus firing pin. If you haven't found out already, you will find that the firing pin is brittle, but again Karl can fix you up. I stick with the S&B ammo and am quite satisfied with its performance not to mentioned it is noncorrosive. Congrats on your purchase!

I bought a Harrington Products firing pin from Karl when bought the pistol. I may try to put it in tonight. Looking at the pin, and the exploded diagram of the CZ-52 on the http://www.makarov.com page, it's not exactly clear to me how it works.

Here's the picture I'm looking at:

http://www.makarov.com/graphics/cz52/cz52part.jpg

It looks to me like there's a flat indent in the firing pin that should be facup toward the top of the slide, and the other piece that comes with the Harrington firing pin is a "retractor lock". The "retractor lock" that's in the exploded parts diagram looks more complicated.

What I don't understand is that it looks like something needs to push the retractor lock up and out of the way, so that the firing pin can move forward. What pushes the retractor up and out of the way?

Thanks,

Mike P. Wagner

Hey Mike, the Harrington Pin is one that I am not familiar with, but go back to Makarov.com and following the link to their message board. The guys who post there are extremely knowledgable in things such as this. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Mike- Check out the written instructions that come with the Harrington pin, they are pretty good. If you don't feel like filing on your extractor, you can get another one from makarov.com that fits with the new Harrington pin.

I have noticed that the problem with the slide not locking back when the mag is empty is associated with the slide stop working itself "loose", kind of towards the left side of the the pistol. I just tap it back in. I believe makarov.com has an aftermarket hardware fix for that one as well.

I have asked a numberof questions, and looked at diagrams, and it turns out that the Harrington pin disables the firing pin safety (the "retractor lock" that locks the firing pin when the trigger is not back). I don't know how I feel about that. I'd like a better pull, but diabling safeties makes me nervous. Thanks for the help.

Mike P. Wagner

Back