Range (mis)adventures

I last shot my 45 cal Markwell arms half stock (it was full stock but I ditched the fore-end and brass spacer and soldered a rib beneath the barrel) to the range today. The last time I took it out was at the Rendezvous at Whittington Center, NM. I had left behind my reading glasses and could see the front sight and shot really poorly.

Well, today the reading glasses were tossed into the car and off to the range it went. Per procedure a cap was placed on the nipple and then it wouldn't fire. Oh, half cock. DUH. On full cock and it still wouldn't fire. ???? Anyway, the range master is a classmate of mine and I went to his house (on the range) and borrowed a screwdriver and removed the lock.

No obstructions and when the sear lever was pushed up, you could see the sear disconnect from the tumbler. The tumbler stayed back and the V spring was compressed 100%. Was the bridle too tight? Tried finding a screwdriver to fit the bridle screws and then noticed the hammer was canted slightly toward the lockplate. Ah hah! Upon loosening the hammer screw slightly, the hammer could rotate forward. Two yeasr of gunsmithing taught this know-nothing something.

Back to the firing line. With a cap on the nipple and the muzzle lowered to the dirt, it went off with an audible bang and a blast of air tossed up some dirt. Loaded with 40 grains FF and a .440 ball. Darn patches were too thick and the balls had to be hammered down the muzzle. Hint: don't hammer while you hold something else in your hand besides the short starter. It hurts

Anyway, finally got the ball down to the powder and with a cap, went to shoot it Bang! Ouch! Forgot I needed a flash guard and being left handed, the underside of my right forearm got peppered. OK, I'm smart. I'll shoot right handed with my non-dominant eye.

Peering down the barrel my right eye confirmed what my left eye told me: the front sight was bent to the left. Lovely. How did that happen? Anyway, all the shots naturally went to the left but at least it's hitting the paper.

After about 30 shots, it was time to call it quits. The horn was almost empty and being near noon time, it was getting hot. Took it home and scrubbed the bore with moose milk (a habit picked up from Whittington Center). Ouch again! It felt great with the small cuts on the hand.

The joys of blackpowder are unending. :D

Muphy's law !!!

Gary,
When we hold our M/L instructor's class. One of last items we cover, is Murhy's Law; (What can possibly go wrong?), During our live fire session, we cover this item under, Locks, Nipples and Safeties. We wait for Murphy's Law to join in and if it doesn't happen, we make it happen. .... :rolleyes:

During our last session, we actually found a "fly" that was worn as well as it's tumbler pocket, which is somewhat rare. Have never really found a tight Bridle but when they get loose,, all kinds or weird stuff can happen! ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Hey Gary . . . . not making fun as we have all had days like that! Sometimes it just isn't worth getting out of bed . . or if we do . . . we should have a second . . or third . cup of coffee! :D

One of the first times I shot my '52 Springfield repro I didn't really know what I was doing. Before I shot it, I cleaned the rifle and didn't dry the bore well enough or something. The drum still had Moos Milk in it, so it soaked my powder. I had read about taking the nipple off and putting a little fresh powder in the hole and then shooting it to clear the load. I did that after scooping out some goo with a paperclip. The gun went "Poot" and the ball rolled out of the barrel with a puff of smoke. My buddies got a real kick out of that. It took a while for them to be convinced that muzzleloaders can be as effective as regular guns.

First black powder rifle was a CVA Hunter Bolt. Went out with a buddy deer hunting. At the time I was very proud of my cool inline rifle, although even then I was secretly wanting his side lock. Well we didn't see any deer and decided to unload the guns at the end of the day. He fired into a tree, all was well. Then I fired, powerbelt popped out the muzzle followed by two burning pyrodex pellets. And I thought oil was a guns friend...

Old pellets? Perhaps

Then I fired, powerbelt popped out the muzzle followed by two burning pyrodex pellets.
I encountered a similar experience with a Knight Hawkeye. I did not see the projectile going down range but could not miss seeing my pellets spiraling down range like little RPG's. The fella next to me thought it was pretty neat and wondered where he could buy some. I pointed to my container and said, be my guest. Soon after, went back to loose powder. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Murphy's Law

Pahoo, can you please share with me the mishaps that were engineered as part of your classes?
Gary, will give it my best but it comes off better when at the range and can be demonstrated. ... ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy's Law; (What can possibly go wrong?)

1) Multi-loads:
Is the M/L, already loaded and methods to determine such.

2) Shot-Start:
You projectile is not fully and firmly seated on you propellant.

3) Dry-Ball:
You lose attention and load projectile with no propellant.

4) Hang-Fire:
Your primer/cap ignites but there is a delay on igniting the main propellant charge.

5) Mis-Fire;
You primer/cap ignites but your main charge, never does.

6) Stuck "Anything"
Anything that goes into the bore; Ramrods, Jags, brushes and projectiles.

7) Safeties, Locks and Ramrods.
They all have their limits so use them but don't trust them.

8) Stay Focused;
While teaching and conversing, it easy for the loader to get distracted. If you are the designated loader for a large group, Stay focused. !!!

More to come and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Engineered Excercises.

1) Multi-loads:
We have three M/L's that we use for our workshops. Two SideLocks and on In-line. I pre-load one of them, in private and ask each instructor to prepare one for loading. They will locate the loaded M/L while going through their preliminary checks.
2) Shot-Start:
We demonstrate a short-start then turn it into a Dry-Ball. We then discuss how this one is going to turn into a Mis-Fire. We then discuss the options of clearing these. We demonstrate removal with the screw-worm jag on "some" sabot rounds as well as RB's. the real eye-catcher is when we use the CO2 discharger. You will clearly see the patch and RB, fly out. .... :eek:
6) Stuck "Anything"
Now this one can sometimes get tricky. We run a dry patch down a partially fouled bore and that demonstrate how hard it is to extract and that is why you "never" want to go there. We have blown out a stuck rod, using the CO2 and two guys pulling, after a good soaking of the bore with Ballistol or #13.
7) Safeties, Locks and Ramrods.
I have a sample of broken Hickory. Also have a spare lock with worn tumbler and fly. The In-line has two safeties that many were not aware of.
4) Hang-Fire:
No engineering required as they just naturally come along. We do ask the instructors to listen for them and what may follow. .... :(

Be Safe !!!

a cap was placed on the nipple and then it wouldn't fire.

This happened to me with a Pedersoli Hawken. While I appreciated realizing how much I flinch when pulling the trigger, I really wanted that cap to go off on the first try.

I keep a multi-tool in my range bag. I use the scissors to make a vertical snip going up the skirt of the cap. Problem solved.

Dry Ball

At Whittington Center Adventure Camp we inadvertently had to demonstrate removing a dry ball with a ball puller. The C02 wouldn't pop it out so it was back to the ramrod with a ball puller. Afterward during a break I passed around the ramrod with ball puller for all the campers to see.

Pure lead is very forgiving !!

The C02 wouldn't pop it out so it was back to the ramrod with a ball puller.
Prior to using a CO2 and long before this workshop, I use to purposely/engineer a dry-ball for new instructor's at our M/L station. This was mostly prompted by them expressing reservations about ever encountering one. So, in an effort of De-horning that devil, we did just that after our regular Hunter Ed. Class. If you are talking about a lubed .015-patch and .490-RB, not a problem but you really need a range-rod that can take this beating. Never had a problem and Sabotted bullets are easier to pull. .... :rolleyes:

CO2-Dischargers. (the longer cartridges); Have a very short life and if you lose the initial seal contact, it's over for that one. On one occasion, we did have to use two. One time we had a stuck range-rod in a dry bore and could not pull it back out by hand. We set it vertical and poured for good-old TC-13 and let it soak for about a half hour. Used the Co2 and out it flew with a "Thunk" .... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

I picked up a Cabellas Hawkens rifle that had a cleaning patch and the broken end of a ram rod stuck in the bore. I replaced the nipple with a grease zerk and using a grease gun popped it right out. Flushed out the grease and had it at the range a short time later.

Back