Range Finding Binoculars?

I'm not sure what you mean by "range-finding", and by "good." ;) I have a pair of Steiner M22s with the mil-dot reticle, but they're more than $300. I don't have experience with laser rangefinders, but at that price you might be better off with a higher-quality monocular.

I have a Tasco that is a copy of the Steiner manual rangefinding one (I think its called the Commander or Mariner or something). Exact functional copy with ranging recticle, internal compass, and internal light (powered by a watch battery). It has a sliderule-type ring on one of its objective bell that aids in calculating distance. Surprisingly, it actually works very well.

Given a known or estimated height of an object, e.g., the height of the shoulders of a deer or the height of a man, you find what hashmark the object is on the recticle and calcualte distance with the ring. IIRC, it cost me <$300. They have coated lens models now for a little over $300 I think.

As for the laser range finder ones, the articles I've read indicate that the much higher ended ones are the most accurate ones. The reason being that they put out a tighter laser pattern. A broader pattern that the lower end ones have spreads the laser over a larger area and could cause the detector to pick up a reading closer or farther than the intended target. Unfortunately, those higher end models, generally from Europe, are well above $1K.

Thats actually a pretty cool Combo. I like to take my little Binoculars down the shore and do some ship searching. I'm looking for an Exact duplicate of the Binoculars Luke Skywalker had in............... Just kidding;)

Steiner seems to be the Kick Ass brand out there. I saw a few of them but they were in the $600 range

:(

i have a pair of bushnell 400 laser range finders.paid <$200.uses 9v.batt.suits my needs perfectly.for ranging objects from my tree stand to informal target practice.i think it was money well spent.although,somewhat bulky

Back