Range day success

mnhntr

I was trying to work some loads up for the Savage LRP and found a winner. 5 shots in a ragged hole at 100yds.
102_0184.jpg

102_0177.jpg

102_0179.jpg

Range day sucess

Care to share details? Rifle, caliber, bullet, case, power, primer, distance to lands, muzzle velocity??
Great shooting!!
Thanks,
Bill Daniel

Rifle is a stock Savage LRP in .260rem. It has a Warne 20moa base and Burris Extreme Tactical rings, with a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x mil/mil scope.

Load is Win 7mm-08 brass necked down
142gr Sierra Match King
44.5gr H4350
Fed Match primer
OAL is 2.850 which is .025 off the lands
2910 fps

Question: As another poster said you're about an inch to the left. Are you going to dial in your scope to hit bulls eye? Would it be a lot of effort to do that?

I will zero it in to the bull, but this was a test on loads I was working up. I had it zeroed for a factory load but when working up handloads it is more important to get a group first then re-zero.

Question: As another poster said you're about an inch to the left. Are you going to dial in your scope to hit bulls eye? Would it be a lot of effort to do that?

I will zero it in to the bull, but this was a test on loads I was working up. I had it zeroed for a factory load but when working up handloads it is more important to get a group first then re-zero.
ok now I am new to reloading but am I incorrect in my understanding that the only thing that should affect accuracy are bullet diameter to barrel fit and velocity? since you are 5 holes touching in a dead center laterally, I would say you have factory velocities pretty well met as well. was there a cross wind?

I would put it on paper one more time before I started fiddling with the scope but that's just me.

good shooting BTW.

I think I may have confused you. I had shot this rifle with some 140gr Rem core lokts and it was close but the factory loads did not group so well. My zero may have been a little off. I was not trying to be to precise until I got the loads workd up.

Nice group. I do the same as you, I don't care where the test loads hit as long as they are on the paper. I'm not trying to eat the bullseye out (thats my aiming point) I'm seeing how the load performs.

Work up a consistent, tight shooting load, then zero rifle.

generally I would follow the same process.
1. sight in rifle as close as factory can get me
2. make ammo, test ammo
if ammo is sufficient proceed to step 3. if ammo is not deemed sufficient, repeat step 2.
3. fine tune scope.

Back