Range Comparison of Ruger SP 101 vs. S&W Model 60

GDB

Inactive
As some of you may know I recently asked this group what people thought of these two guns. Rather than trade the Ruger for the S&W I traded another gun I no longer shoot.

I can now offer a side-by-side comparison of the two. Both are .357, 3" or 3"+ barrels. The Ruger has a 10 lb Wolff main spring and the S&W is factory. Both have Hogue rubber grips. Ammunition used was 158 grain .38 factory reload (about 60 rounds each) and 130 grain .357 Federal Hydra-Shok (5 rounds each). Shooting of .38s was single and double action and of .357 was single at 15 to 20 feet.

Build Quality - Overall the two guns have very similar dimensions and profiles; however, the S&W is about 3 ounces lighther. The Ruger is heavier and thicker in most of its individual dimensions (i.e. bigger trigger & hammer, etc.). The only part of the Ruger that seems more flimsy is the extrator rod and this is likely because it is not used to anchor the cylinder as in the Smith.

Accuracy, for me is nearly the same except I would be more likely to pull to the left with the Ruger. I was a slightly better shot with the S&W in SA. [Your results may, of course, vary.]

Trigger pull is better with the S&W but this is more noticable with dry firing than in actual shooting.

As you might expect recoil was more noticable with the lighter Smith. It was not too different with .38s but was considerably more noticable with .357s. Because of a recent hand injury I only fired a few .357s.

I think the biggest surprise was in flash and blow back with .357s. I never really noticed blow back with the Ruger but I sure did with the S&W.

Granted, this was only a brief test. My opinions might change as I practice more with both guns and as my hand becomes stronger. I will also try some "Kinder and Gentler" .357s.

I hope this is of value to someone.

GDB

Back