Range accident today

kmw1954

Went today to do some load testing and when I arrived this morning the 100yd range was already packed full, 44 benches. This weekend is the start of Wisconsin Deer Gun season.

As the range was full I went to the 200 yard range just before this happened.
Appears someone double charged a black powder rifle.
From what I am told 2 persons taken out in ambulances, the shooter and another that was a couple benches down.

While I was still there I seen 3 ambulances, 4 County Sheriff and 2 DNR cars.

Went today to do some load testing and when I arrived this morning the 100yd range was already packed full, 44 benches. This weekend is the start of Wisconsin Deer Gun season.

As the range was full I went to the 200 yard range just before this happened.
Appears someone double charged a black powder rifle.
From what I am told 2 persons taken out in ambulances, the shooter and another that was a couple benches down.

While I was still there I seen 3 ambulances, 4 County Sheriff and 2 DNR cars.
Last year we had someone run over someone's foot with a truck at our rifle range.
Ambulance, 3 deputies, DNR , and Georgia State Patrol, and the coroner all ended up there. Dispatch hears "gun" and they send everyone.
I kept shooting.

I also work here at this range.
One of the RO's was sanding behind them when it happened. He suffered a cut forehead. From what I hear another customer was also hit pretty badly by flying shrapnel.

Keep us in the loop and thank you !!!

A few years ago, in Iowa, we had a fatality that was classified as a hunting accident. The DNR, makes this distinction. I hunter safety instructor teach at the M/L station and also teach safe Gun-Handling rules/guidelines. as an M/L instructor, It upset me and even though these kids never attended one of our classes. I got the entire story from the DNR and use it as a teaching point as it brings it closer to home .. ;)

I too am a RSO and I know that it is going to take some time before the details are sorted. Would you please let me know, how it turns out or send me a link???

Be Safe !!!

Just for the uninformed like myself, what is a DNR in this context. I'm familiar with DNR for "do not resuscitate" but suspect that is not the correct usage here.

At the Cedar Creek reenactment in 1991 a fellow in my unit triple charged his musket-just blanks, remember. When he fired it, it knocked him and the man behind him down, when we got back to camp we found the stock was cracked.

So I was not in the direct area when this happened so I am just relaying what the on duty RO'S were telling me.

Type of black powder rifle I do not know details yet. The double charge theory came from the RO that was right behind him. Also with the condition of the range and the numbers of shooters I firmly believe this person had been there for a while as I was there talking with the RSO for two 15min sessions and no new shooters had arrived.

I did not see it but again was told the rifle was destroyed, a customer sitting a couple benches away got hit also. I am assuming this is a newer in-line as it was equipped with a scope.

I work tomorrow so I will try to gather more information.

A simple double charge will not destroy a properly made muzzle loading rifle in good condition.

Damage, perhaps, but not destroy. If the gun was destroyed, I'd guess it was something more than just a simple double charge or the gun was in some way defective.

Do let us know what you find out, please.

Would not be surprised to if it was a hot load behind an obstructed barrel... Those rifles are pretty forgiving.

Others weigh in, but I'm a little surprised that a modern steel doubly-loaded muzzleloader
would actually blow up -- given the circumstances as described in the article.

Devil's in the details of course...:confused::rolleyes:

A simple double charge will not destroy a properly made muzzle loading rifle in good condition.
My thoughts too.

The article states that the gun was "loaded twice", that is, a powder charge and projectile loaded with another powder charge and projectile loaded on top of that. That might do it.

Other possible causes:

1. Bore obstruction.
2. Use of smokeless powder in a muzzle loader.

Time will tell !!!

Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR)... (I presume)
That is correct as they are usually brought in to investigate, these types of accidents as they do get involved or at least informed on the details. .... :)

Damage, perhaps, but not destroy. If the gun was destroyed, I'd guess it was something more than just a simple double charge or the gun was in some way defective.

This is my conjecture but then again, I'm not a politician and would rather use the word; S.W.A.G. I do have a theory but eventually it will be sorted out, in great detail. .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

There is the possibility of an "incorrect" double load causing damage, perhaps even failure.

What I mean by "incorrect" is the second load NOT being seated all the way down, creating a bore obstruction.

Fully seating a second charge and ball on top of the first (thinking its the only charge in the gun) often happens, and generally is not dangerous. But a second load (with ball) NOT fully seated is a bore obstruction, just like mud, snow, ice, etc., and when fired the first charge ball gets a "running start" before hitting the second charge ball, and then BAD things happen....

There is an old muzzlerloader's saying that goes "you're not a TRUE muzzleloader until you've, loaded with no powder, loaded with no ball, double loaded, and shot your ramrod, ...at least once!" :D

Some decades ago I remember an NRA ariticle where they tried to blow up a muzzleloader with multiple charges. 2 didn't do it. nor did 3, or even 4, it took them 14 loads, stacked up one on top of the other before the barrel let go. I do not remember what the load was, and I don't think 14 charges to explode is typical, but the point is a double, or even triple charge usually won't rupture the barrel. PROVIDED there's no space between them.

Range accident

If there was a double projectile/powder load, that should do it.

Years ago a nerd about 35, had a black powder revolver two stations down from me-it auto fired all the cylinders at once, kicked the hell out of him, and filled the range with smoke for about 10 minutes. The gun was ok.
That led me to avoid being near a black powder shooter.:cool:

George Nonte wrote that he experienced a chainfire with a BP revolver, said he found the muzzle pointing straight up. Hence the reason why many modern shooters use shortening, grease, something to seal the chambers.

If the incident was serious enough to transport 2 people when the call goes out from 911 anyone close is going to respond. If it happened here the Fire Department rescue truck would beat the ambulance to the scene. Maybe even beat LE.

I wouldn't be surprised to see LE from multiple agencies and if it were close to the state, or county line even officers from other counties or even across the state line.

We have an agreement with every LE agency in bordering counties to respond. Whoever is close will respond, with no need to ask for permission. My county borders Alabama and that includes them too.

If there was a double projectile/powder load, that should do it.

Years ago a nerd about 35, had a black powder revolver two stations down from me-it auto fired all the cylinders at once, kicked the hell out of him, and filled the range with smoke for about 10 minutes. The gun was ok.
That led me to avoid being near a black powder shooter.:cool:
Chain fires with BP revolvers were practically a rite of passage when I was 14-15 years old.

Back