Random range musings-GP,XDS9,Shield40

Slimjim9

Went to the range yesterday and had a few firsts.

To begin, I had my GP100 model 1708 out for the first time after installing new springs - 10lbs for both hammer and trigger return springs. No issues with a box of 38 and half a box of 357. DA is very manageable now, similar or better than my LCR. Did this to my model 1722 recently as well so now it's kinda redundant, but no immediate plans to part with either. I like em both. :)

Next up, I rented a Springfield XDS 9mm 4.0. For a single stack 9mm, I liked it "ok". The trigger was kinda spongy and the longer slide made it a little top heavy, but it fit well and I shot it pretty well. I didn't notice the grip safety at all which was a question mark before. No trigger buzz like the Glock 43 and not as snappy. I'd take it any day over the G43. Makes me want to try the XDS 45 4.0 that some here have recommended but my range doesn't rent that one. :(

Finally, the guy next to me was breaking in a Shield 40 (I think - maybe it was M&P but was definitely single stack). First time I ever shot a .40 anything. It wasn't as bad as I feared but that was one flippy pistol! I only had one mag with it, but I dunno, one mag of .40 might be enough. :p

Finally, the guy next to me was breaking in a Shield 40 (I think - maybe it was M&P but was definitely single stack)

Shield is single stack. M&P is double.

It wasn't as bad as I feared but that was one flippy pistol! I only had one mag with it, but I dunno, one mag of .40 might be enough.

I'm not one to repeat the Internet whine about how awful .40 is, but the Shield is one awful dang light gun to shoot it out of.

Sounds like a good day!

I was looking at getting a GP100 myself but ended up with a P938 somehow :confused:

I will end up with a GP100 yet, probably the Match Champion, I like the roll mark better than the "read the operating manual" roll mark.

My first gun was a .40, ended up getting rid of it after I got a .45 and 9mm and realized I shot follow-ups faster and more accurate compared to the .40. Sounds like a lot of PDs are following suit after the big jump over to .40 in the 90's and early 00's.

Pietro Beretta said:
Sounds like a good day!

I was looking at getting a GP100 myself but ended up with a P938 somehow

I will end up with a GP100 yet, probably the Match Champion, I like the roll mark better than the "read the operating manual" roll mark
Any day I learn something new is a good day. :)

I can see how you got the GP100 and P938 mixed up. ;)

I'm with you on the roll mark. It's a pet peeve of mine. I just try not to look at that side. :p Some models like some of the new SP101s moved the RTFM mark to the bottom of the barrel. I hope they extend that to more models in the catalog.

Back