Ran into this fella at the lease...

One very good looking rattler.............how big was he?

We normally just leave them be unless they are near a stand, which sense they are territorial can be a problem.......especially when reencountered in the dark..............

He was about 4 1/2 ft....

Timber rattlers are a protected species here....Last I saw him..he was headed for cover....

I have no idea why any kind of rattlesnake would be a protected species. It wouldn't bother me one bit if they and all other venomous snakes became extinct.

I guess I'm one of a few that have no problem with snakes...I see one of these things every couple years....

I'm right there with ya, Keg. I came across a few rattlers when I lived in Nevada. They scared the bejeezus out of me the first couple of times, but eventually I learned to just give 'em some space and walk away.

As for wishing them to be extinct, just think of all the mice, rats and other little walking disease farms that would be overrunning us if snakes disappeared :eek:... not a pretty picture

Plenty of other, non-venomous, snakes eat the creepy-crawlies. :)

I for one could also do without them.

Looks like a female from what I can see of the tail. At least according to my copy of Audubon Society guide.

Last edited:
He looks a lot like the Canebrake Rattlesnakes we sometimes see down here, close to the Georgia border. It's always a treat because they're less common than the Diamondbacks or Pygmies. I always leave them alone or move them to a better location.

Scout..after doing some more checking...I thought timber rattlers were one and the same...not so.....This is a canebrake....

The canebrake rattlesnake is a heavy-bodied snake. Color is pale grayish-brown to pink, with a pattern of dark-brown to black V-shaped cross bands and a russet stripe down the centerline of the back. (The rusty stripe distinguishes a canebrake from a common timber rattler.) A broad, dark stripe angles back from the eye, and the tail is velvety black.

SIZE: Adults average 1.2 m (4 ft.) in length, but some individuals reach lengths of 180 cm (6 ft.)

I was going to say canebreak, also. Snakes don't bother me much, either. Remember, rattlers usually have a strike range about half their length...

I can normally get along with a rattler that gives warning he's threatened. I just can't stand those cotton mouths and copperheads. Most of those that I come across seem to have an attitude problem. Of course I'm more than happy to fix it for them when I find one.

Leave them alone and give them their space. They do much more good than harm. They are just one of the things that you have to watch out for when afield. Next thing you know, hunters will want grain fed deer with a warm hut overlooking the feeding site. Oh wait.................they already have that!

Leave them alone and give them their space. They do much more good than harm. They are just one of the things that you have to watch out for when afield. Next thing you know, hunters will want grain fed deer with a warm hut overlooking the feeding site. Oh wait.................they already have that!

A lotta truth in that post. I believe those same hunters want all predators and non-game species eliminated from the field so that all that is left is dumbed down domesticated deer and pen raised pheasants. That way they have a chance of takin' somethin' home.

That's a beauty...

They are part of the woods, leave 'em be to do their thing. All they want to do with us is to be left alone and able to go about their business. What a handsome animal. It would be a treat to see one.

Willie

Back