Ran into some old(er) shells today

spacecoast

A friend of mine was selling some shotgun shells for a neighbor so I took the opportunity to take them off his hands for about .25 each, based on what birdshot is running at WalMart. Probably not old by most standards, but certainly have a few years on them.

Any "extra" value to any of these?

76 rounds of paper 16 gauge Western Xpert marked 2 1/2 - 1 - 8 (no box)

IMG_1198480x640_zps98b7caa8.jpg

A box of 12 gauge Wards Hawthorne Magnum shells - 2 3/4", 1 1/2 oz, size 4 shot. From the chart on the side, these might be for turkey or geese.

IMG_1194640x480_zpsc5cb01ac.jpg

A box of 12 gauge Super X, 1 1/4 oz, size 6 shot

IMG_1195640x480_zpsd7bdb214.jpg

I have a few 20GA shells that my late father gave me for his 20GA before he passed away. He gave me a few old Winchester slugs that were in a 25 round box, and some Remington 1oz. #4 that have the over shot card wad. Sorry I have no pictures to post.

The Western Xperts are probably from the late 1950s to early 1960s.

The Monkey-Wards are most likely from the early to mid 1970s. M-W trademarked Hawthorne as a store brand for guns, ammo and other shooting and sporting goods in 1961, and quit using it in the 1980s when they started getting out of firearms. It expired in 1988.

I'm pretty sure that those particular shells were loaded by Federal and marked with the M-W information.

That design of Winchester Super X box was used from the mid to late 1970s through the early 1990s. I have a metric buttload of them that I got in the early 1980s and use for storing reloads.

Thanks Mike, I figured they weren't anything out of the ordinary. I do wish I had the boxes for the 16-gauge shells, though.

I think I was wrong about the Winchester box.

I think it's earlier, into the 1970s. looking at it some more I'm sure it's different from the boxes that I picked up. I think it's the design before the one I have.

I think the number of collectors out there ....for shotshells or for shotshell boxes...is more a thing of the past...

Personally, I enjoy looking at the graphics on some of the older boxes...and some of the older shells.../ and depending on how you choose to display them ( maybe in a glass front cabinet or a shelf in a reloading room as an example ) I think they're kind of cool...and since I grew up in the 50's..they're nostalgic.../ or as nostalgic as the 60's and 70's were for some of us ...

but values...are way down...based on what I see in my area / and I doubt you have any "extra value" there in the stuff you bought / I'd say just enjoy them for what they are.

Back