Ramshot LRT for 300 PRC

kilotanker22

Anyone used this powder for the 300 PRC? Retumbo is getting hard to find again and I hear this powder is around the same burn rate. Just looking to see if anyone here has used this powder with the 225-250 grain bullets in the 300 PRC. What did you think of it?

Wish I could help you, I have lots of LRT but I've only used it in cavernous magnums with near-capacity loads (with excellent results), I too have just about run out of retumbo. Actually, I'm running out of just about everything.

Hodgdon's H1000 is a good "all arounder" for the big ones in my experience, a great powder--if you can find it. LRT is a very fine spherical, I tend to get nervous with fine sphericals in big cases when they are not near capacity.

Last edited:
All the slow magnum powders are nowhere to be found locally. I saw that LRT was available online for $200 for an eight pound jug.

Kiss Of Death

The Kiss of Death,
Over a year and a half ago I worked a Satterly test looking for speed and consistency using Retumbo and 168 grn ABLR's in my 7 mag.
After finding a fast accurate load that showed no pressure signs from the rifle, I loaded the reat of the lb I had and to this day have never found anymore.
I did score on some other slow powders, but havent tested any of those...
When Obama got elected it seemed to me like h4350 was scarce, along with a few others...
This load I mentioned earlier is so good I dont want to change any components....

I'm not sure i would call 300PRC "cavernous".

To me that would be more the 378 based Weatherby, RUM, Dakota, LM, Lazzeroni, Cheytac type cartridges.
Something with 100gr capacity, or more.

I've never played with LRT, heck i've never seen it on a shelf untill recently. And that was only a pound or two.

Heck, Kilo!
In these trying times, if you find any powder that MIGHT work, you need to jump on it!
If you can't find load data, shoot me a PM and i'll see if Quickload has it on their list & run the numbers for ya!

Well, you have the data.

We'll let you be our Giunea Pig!

Let us know how it performs. ;)
Well, in my procrastination I have spent all my free money on Christmas gifts for my family. Looks like I will have to wait a week or so to order powder. Hopefully, there is some left when I have the cash.

Honestly, I have been considering using Hornady factory ammunition with this rifle. At least for a few hundred rounds. It shoots the Hornady 225 grain ELD Match ammunition rather well. Then start load development later one when more powders are available. Although this is the most expensive way to get brass, currently, it is the only way to get 300 PRC brass.

I am most concerned with consistent velocity spreads. How were your velocity spreads using LRT in your "cavernous cases?
Sorry--just noticed this, I've used it in 338 Lapua Magnum with 270 ELD-X with excellent grouping results in the lower-end charges of 93 to 94 grs but they go all the way up to 100grs+ but I can't find the labradar data. Unclenick would know far better than me about the relative burn rate thing--my personal guess is that the "burn column" profile of the 300 PRC is different enough from that of something like the 338 LM that it may not be valid to extrapolate the performance characteristics, I have no experience with the 300 PRC but it resembles more in profile a shorter burn column to me, and for that reason I would be careful about the choice of primer and reducing the probability of an uneven ignition and bullet start. Just pure speculation on my part.

Well, in my procrastination I have spent all my free money on Christmas gifts for my family. Looks like I will have to wait a week or so to order powder. Hopefully, there is some left when I have the cash.
I too procrastinated--and found the 8lbs. are no longer available on-line for LRT, so I just ordered a couple pounds (most online merchants limit how many you can buy). I also bought some more ram magnum--an excellent powder. If the PRC works with LRT--then I'm guessing it also might work with US 869 which also appears to be momentarily widely available.

Last edited:
Well for large rifle.magnum primers, the only thing I have is a brick of CCI #34. They have worked quite well this far in the PRC. I may just hang this rifle up until powder, primers , and brass are more available

With that much capacity, might RL33 work?

And has anybody seen some lately?

Was thinking of using it in the 7mm Rem Mag, as i want to go up in bullet weight.

From what I can tell, and what I have read on other forums, powders that work well for the 338 Lapua seem to work well for the 300 PRC. I have no intention of shooting anything lighter than 225 grains in this rifle. For 225-250 grain bullets I bet that RL 33 would work well. However, RL 33 is not available locally to me.

Back