Ramshot Big game powder for 30-06?

Shadow9mm

So I did inventory the other day and realized I was short on 30-06 powder. Ws at the shop and my main powder was gone, and my backup was like $42 per lb.

Checked a manual in the shop and found Ramshot Big game. Read the label, see below, and it it supposed to be ideal for 30-06. So I bought 2lb So i could load the rest of the bullets I have...

Has anyone played around with this? any good results? running 30-06 and primarily 150g SP and FMJ. Hoping this was a good buy...

BIG GAME is the ultimate 30-06 Springfield powder. Outstanding velocities and optimum case-fill result in excellent shot to shot consistency. These properties also allow it to outperform the competition in the popular 22-250 Remington and other calibers in this range. It’s an extremely clean burning, double-base spherical powder with outstanding metering properties. Made in Belgium.

Might have been a good idea to pick up 8 lbs while the picking was good!

Two powder shortages ago, I came across R17. Hmm, grabbed Hornady manual that was handy (in store, unpacked) yep, its listed, bought it.

Now its popular but back then no one knew about it and ignored. I went a long ways on that and have 10 lbs or so now.

I get to start over as the tube on the target 06 is well on its way out (I mean realy, after 8,000 rounds its wearing out! they just don't make barrel like they used to!)

I realized it was getting erratic the other day, hmmm, yep, Throat Erosion measured new was 0, now its 3. Bullets to off the lands a lot further. Borescope shows lands cracking and some gone in the throat.

So I extended bullets and got a couple of 1/2 MOA groups, ok, see me through until the new barrel arrives.

I love the 06. The Savage receiver has made a good base to put a barrel on, the Savage Thumhole Stock was surprising the best target stock (for me) of the 3 (6.5 Lapua I just ordered a duplicate Featherweight from Boyds in a different color so as not to mix them up)

That said, the center body of a target TH Boyds and the Featherweight are the same, have not weighed them, but the heft is in the free floating front and a narrowed contour on the back which suites me.

Boyds does not offer even a Varmint contour (Boyds call it a bull barrel option but its a Varmint so if you have a bull you have to sand anyway, don't ask me how I know!). No problem, just sand it out.

The top of the fore rail is a bit thin but it has a bit of width and well worth that for the good feel (I have a EG Brown Target that is not that great, a Boyds Target which is second and then the FH that I love)

I have experimented with it some and find it does pretty much the same thing H4350 does in 30-06 and 6.5CM. Which means it is pretty good. In fact I think it is possible to get just a bit more speed with it.

Accuracy was pretty comparable too. But as long as I can find H4350 I prefer to use it. No particular reason except I've been using it for a while and don't want to change.

I use data from here.

http://www.ramshot.com/load-data/

I have experimented with it some and find it does pretty much the same thing H4350 does in 30-06 and 6.5CM. Which means it is pretty good. In fact I think it is possible to get just a bit more speed with it.

Accuracy was pretty comparable too. But as long as I can find H4350 I prefer to use it. No particular reason except I've been using it for a while and don't want to change.

I use data from here.

http://www.ramshot.com/load-data/
much thanks.

For whoever may stumble upon this later looking for info
TC Compass 30-06, barrel length 21.625in
R-P brass
Western Ramshot Big game powder
CCI large rifle primers
150g Hornady FMJ-BT loaded to Hornady spec 3.185in
150g hornady SP-BT (interlock) loaded to Hornady spec 3.210

Hornady shows a max of 60.g
Wester shows a max of 59.9 for the Hrn fmjbt 150g, at the same COL, 3.185, western does not list this as a compressed load.

My results

1rnd tests, working up towards max, looking for pressure signs
150g SP
55.3 2888fps
55.9 2905 fps
56.5 2956 fps
57.1 2984fps
57.7 3028 fps minimally cratered primer, stopped

150g FMJ-BT
55.3 2931fps
55.9 2896 fps
56.5 2909 fps