Ramped Barrels

jmicmic

Can someone tell me what type of ramp the SA 1911-A1 Longslide V-16 has?? Is it a standard ramp? Some barrel makers have either para,clark,wilson,or nowlin ramps on their barrles. Does the frame need to be modified for these type of ramps?
Thanks All.

Of what I recall the V-16 does not use a ramped barrel. It uses the standard arrangement or Colt setup. Ramped barrels are generally used for 38 Supers and such.

The springfields that I have seen that have factory ramped barrels are using the Wilson/Nowlin ramp. To tell the difference, remove the barrel and look at the area just ahead of the ramp. If it is cut square, it is the Wilson/Nowlin style, and if it has a semicircular extension it is the Clark/para style. They both work equally well, but the W/N is a little more difficult to machine the frame for.

My V16 does not have a ramped barrel.Yep,you have to cut the frame bridge for a ramped barrel to fit.

Ramped barrels are generally used (in 1911s) to provide 180 degrees of support for the brass of high-pressure loads like .38 Super.The V16 is a .45 Super pistol-the brass for this cartridge undergoes a special hardening process for handling the higher pressures..45 Super isn't a whole lot hotter than standard .45 ACP anyway.

Back