Ramline .22 pistol firing pin

Jordan

A friend of mine came to me with a problem:
He has one of those Ramline .22 pistols with broken firing pin.
Ramline is out of business and no one has parts.. I'm left with fabricating a new one.

Problems and questions--
-Half of it is missing so it won't be a simple matter of copying the old one. I am comfortable that I could "cut to shape, file to fit, paint to match" but would be a lot easier if I could find some published measurements or if someone had one that could give me some measurements... I know that both of those requests are long shots.

-Can anyone help me think of a good, readily available material to make it out of? Something hard but not brittle. Maybe made out of a ground down, used tool of some kind (cold chisel or punch)? Or buy and alter a close match? (it looks a lot like a 10/22 firing pin)

Also, I'm not interested in any sermons regarding safety and "original parts only" etc... unless you really do have a valid point.

I do have a pistol like it , I could try sometime next week and dissasemble the pistol and measure the pin for you.
If you have a takedown procedure that will help me a lot,
please post it on your reply.
I dont know where you can get one , have you tried gun parts corporation http://www.gunpartscorp.com/.
Please let me know I just looked at the ownwer's manual for the Exactor Ramline pistol and from the exploded drawings
looks like you shoud be able to make one once I measure and draw the one on my pistol. My guess is the the firing pin is made out of hardenable steel.

Jordan, when you get the specs from CMC get some "fatigue proof" steel rod from Brownells. It's perfect for firing pins. I've made a bunch of them with it over the years and never had a problem. George

Thanks for the replies! I had about given up.

Cmc: Your help would be greatly appreciated. As near as I can tell, parts are simply not available for this gun AT ALL. As far as takedown instructions:
-Remove allen head bolt (1/8") from rear area of frame right below the charging handle thing.
-This will allow you to remove a vertically oriented pin from the rear of the receiver by pulling straigt up and out.
-The receiver/barrel assembly will now tip forward out of the frame.
-Slide bolt from rear of receiver.
-Remove recoil rod and spring from top of bolt.
-Utilizing 1/16"-3/32" punch (or equivilent), drift the horizontal firing pin retaining pin out of the bolt from right to left (from shooter's perspective).
---BE CAREFUL AS YOU DO THIS because the firing pin will fall free ALONG WITH A TINY SPRING THAT RESTS BENEATH IT... it would be easy to miss/lose this spring.

Assembly is same in reverse order. If you have trouble threading the allen head bolt back in, rotate the vertical receiver pin 180 in it's hole (the threads are slanted up and will only go one way).

George: Thanks for the advice. Do you grind the hardened rod flat before cutting the shape? It is a flat, stamped part similar in design to a Ruger 10/22 firing pin.

Thanks again everyone.

Jordan
I will try to remove it and hopefully tomorow or the day after I will post the measurements.

Jordan
I took it out and measured it to the nearest thou with calipers and a micrometer.
As far as tolerances I have to assume plus or minus .005
on all the dimensions.
this part was stamped and I would think is made out of a high carbon steel 1060 thru 1095.
Brownell's also has flat spring bar made out of 1095 steel in 3/32 thick but you will have to heat treat it to harden it. I made a drawing of the firing pin and saved it as a .jpg file, I dont know how to post that file to this board so I will Email you the file as an attachment if you have any problems reading it or you need additional dimensions e-mail me or post it to the board.
Good Luck

Back