Ram Magnum 338 Lapua

stagpanther

Kilotanker piqued my curiosity about powders for the 300 PRC--especially since he mentioned it works very well with powders used in 338 LM--which I have. I have very little LRT left so I've replaced it with Ramshot Magnum, which I have much more of (it doesn't take very long to eat through even an 8lb'r keg of powder on a 338 LM diet).

I had a couple of boxes of Norma brass sitting around that I never used in preference to Lapua--but decided to break them out to try them out--actually is very fine brass, even compared to Lapua's. Here is a 285 eld sitting on my Prazi press, other than the fact that I'm missing a eld seater stem for the die, the bullets seat very well with what feels like consistent tension without my having done anything to the brass. Notice the spring-loaded ball bearing clamp for the shell-holder, just one of the precision attention to detail features--when you use one of these you'll know where that $1,000 went. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6092.jpg
    IMG_6092.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 163
Nice press.

I have previously compared Lapua and Norma .308 Win brass and found both had no flash hole burrs and both had about 0.001" neck wall runout, which beats most domestic stuff.

If you read Norma's print manual, they mention one of their QC steps is to randomly pull brass off the line and make sure it can be reloaded 10 times without reannealing or other extra efforts. I don't know if that applies to the belted magnums, which can be pretty hard on brass.

Nice press.

I have previously compared Lapua and Norma .308 Win brass and found both had no flash hole burrs and both had about 0.001" neck wall runout, which beats most domestic stuff.

If you read Norma's print manual, they mention one of their QC steps is to randomly pull brass off the line and make sure it can be reloaded 10 times without reannealing or other extra efforts. I don't know if that applies to the belted magnums, which can be pretty hard on brass.
It is nice press, thanks, I love it. I have some pretty old 300 Weatherby magnum brass that was formerly made by Norma (don't know if they still do) and that is a harsh cartridge on brass but they just keep going and going with little need for adjustment except around the top of the belt if going into a new tight chamber.

Yep. AFAIK, Norma is still making them. At least, they were in 2013, when my copy of the Norma manual was out. Glad to hear their belted stuff lasts, too.

I seem to remember reading a thread on another forum some time back, they were using Ramshot Magnum in their 338 LM. If memory serves me correctly, they had good results. I will see if I can find that post again and post a link to it.

Back