Raising dents....

Romulus

I know it can be done on a barrel...can it be done on a shotgun mag tube extension? I recently got a small batch of these extensions, Remington originals for the Vietnam war, the kind with the groove at the front. Problem is that the dents are forward of the groove (meaning I cant drive a socket to the dented area) and the end cap seems soldered on...

Suggestions? Should I apply heat and remove the end cap and then drive a socket into the tube? Or should I live with these dents? They seem rather shallow, but I dont know if they could affect operation (spring bind and spring wear are my main concerns) as I intend to install them on all my 870s...

George amd Mike, thanks...

Mike, the tube is not too long, it's just that I can't chase the dent from the open (threaded) end, as these tubes have a constriction (Remington must love them dimples) that runs the circumference of the tube...this constriction will block the rod, and the darn dents are all beyond this constriction. If I can take off the end caps, I can go in with a drift from the front end, but the caps seem soldered on - a tell-tale shiny little line that didn't take the parkerizing...

What's the best way to remove the solder...a bernzomatic? Will the metal be damaged by the flame, and should I oil quench the tube after removing the solder and or re-applying the solder?

Sure appreciate your input...

Back