Rainier 200gr. SWC .45 loads?

AustinMike

I just ordered some Rainier 200gr. SWC .45's to try. I've shot their 230gr. RN for years and like them a lot, but wanted to give the clean hole punchers a try. Anybody got any loads to share? I want loads that are around 850fps for IPSC use. I've got Clays on hand and I can get HP-38 and Titegroup real cheap here.

Mike, I shoot a plain lead 200 SWC with 4.4 grains of Clays and it makes major. It is accurate and flat shooting for me. You might need a bit more powder but only a chrono is going to tell you for sure.

I have to go with what is available so for IDPA I've been shooting 3.5gr of Bullseye under a 230gr LRN. I'm ordering a chronograph this week because I'm concerned about fps and I have no access to one.

It functions fine in the STI, Para, S&W 1911, CZ 97B and even for paractice in my carry gun - Bersa Ultra Compact .45. Recoil is much less then the 4.0gr I had been using.

I've had hell trying to get Rainier 200gr SWC to work in any 45 autos. Even Sigs, Glocks and Ruger let alone my 1911s. I went with a lead bullet that looks just like the Rainier called Lone Star Bullet Co. It works great in all my 45s. I can run the 200gr LSB at around 850fps and not have any leading problems in my 1911s.

Now why the LSBs work and the Rainier give me problems I don't know? They look the same! I have run the Rainier 200gr and 230gr round nose without any problems.

Back