Rail and ring question for Remington Sendero 700 7mm

jb18

Inactive
I purchased a Remington Sendero 7mm mag and am planning on mounting a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50mm PA scope on it. I probably won't be shooting past 500-600 yds and the range I go to is only 100 yds. Planning on getting a 0moa picatinny steel rail and steel rings but don't know which ones yet. Would it be better to get a 0moa rail or a 20moa rail, and if I get a 20moa, will I have a hard time zeroing it in at 100yds? I'm thinking that I should just get the 20moa so I have the versatility for longer range if I ever need it, as long as I can zero it in at my range. I know there is a big difference between aluminum and steel rails and rings, but if I am getting steel hardware, is there a big difference between companies? Any thoughts or recommendations?

It looks like that scope has 65 moa vertical travel, per the vortex site.

So from the optical center that is 32.5 up and 32.5 down adjustment.

With a 20 moa base it would give 52.5 up and 12.5 down, in a perfect world.
But I have yet to have mounted a scope that worked out perfect. Most of them used 5-8 moa adjustment in the initial 100 yd zero.

The answer to the question comes from looking at ballistic charts and seeing if you need the elevated base or not for the longest distance you want to shoot.

Not planning on swapping frequently, just once in about 4-6 weeks when my new scope comes in. I'm going to be borrowing one until then. I have no reason for a rail over a standard base. I'm fairly new to this as you can probably tell and getting a rail was recommended to me by a friend. Looking at it now, I guess I probably could have gone with a 1 piece. I just purchased a 20 moa rail, so it's too late now, but if I get another rifle, maybe I'll switch it out if it makes sense. Thanks for your input!

I have a 20moa on my 7mm Sendero, but only because I used to shoot it in 1000 yard matches and never bothered taking it off. I'd rather have a set of Leupold or Redfield rings for hunting.

Back