Race Gun HELP

Kg4mon

I'm wanting to start shooting a few of the local competitions and everyone there is shooting a open class race gun. I can't afford to go full blown race gun but, I have a Colt 80 series Goverment Model .45 that I could convert. Is this a good option? Or should I buy a .38 super? What kind set up would you recommend for the .45 colt? compensated barrel, optics, etc. Thanks Rick

USPSA - IPSC?
Everyone?
You will be handicapped to shoot a single stack .45 or even .38 in USPSA Open no matter what you hang on it.

Shoot your .45 in Limited - 10 or Single Stack Provisional. Be an example and maybe some others will bring out their ordinary guns. One big weakness of USPSA is the perception that it takes expensive guns and gear to shoot. That isn't so, there is a Division for about anything but people have to be shown.

Don't convert your 1911 to Open. The money is better spent on ammo and practice. You can compete just fine with it in the SingleStack or Limited 10 divisions.

Shoot competition with what you have for a while. If you decide you like it and want to delve deeper, then you can start thinking about new guns for new divisions.

I was in the same situation as you are in, and I found that it would be a waste of money to add a compensator along with all the competition mods to it. I figured that if I am going to go that way I may as well buy a race gun although they are expensive. I just keep shooting with my kimber raptor 2 and want to be competative with that, I know guys that shoot just as well with my gun as they can with their full blown race guns. I know the disadvantage of shooting limited 10 when you have competators with 15+ round mags but all you can do is practice. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me either by email or pm

sales@tacticaljunkie.com

I've been shooting IPSC since 1987 and IMHO the advice given above is good. Shoot limited or production until you start beating 2/3 of the open shooters, then get your new open gun built. I didn't build my open gun until my eyesight started failing and I couldn't focus the all important Front Sight.

Back