R&R 870 Firing Pin?

JNewell

Searched the archives and couldn't find any discussion of this. No, I haven't broken mine <g>, but I'm wondering if there are any tricks, or whether it's as simple as removing the bolt and the rest will be obvious. If that's the case, a simple "yes" will suffice. <g>

Would a simple "No" confuse you? :p

Just kidding. Yes. Remove the bolt and drive the pin at the rear of the bolt DOWNWARD. When you remove the punch after driving out the pin, the firing pin will invariably spring out and separate from the firing pin. The Gunsmith gremlin will invariably give you one of the two back but hide the other piece (chosen at random) in a secret hiding place. Alongside this spring (the lucky winner in my case) is the spring to a buffer retaining pin on my AR-15, the plug to my Colt 1911 that deflected off of my forehead, and about three shell-stop springs from my numerous Ithaca 37 disassembly follies. And I'm still p'd off at that gremlin for losing my socks.

Ahh, so I need a hammer and punch to do this? Or does the pin come out without a hammer, just using a punch-type tool to push it out by hand?

My favorite gremlin part is the detent for the pivot (front) pin on an AR. Even the cat can't find it. Next best was the trigger spring on a Beretta 96 that (unexpectedly) launched itself when the pin was drawn out. Tasks like that, I am coming to believe, are sometimes best done inside a plastic bag, so the parts can't travel more than a few inches! <g> (I'm not really kidding...)

Back