R.famage 1952 30-06

Blindstitch

My dad has this 30-06 that he doesn't use much at all and i'm curious what it was in a previous life. A quick google search brings up reconditioned rebarreled columbian mauser.

I'm trying to nail down what all of his guns are for parts compatibility, general information and whatever else may come or go to who ever inherits them in the future.

It does have a slot for a stripper clip. Unfortunately I took these photos while I was on vacation so I can't really inspect it any more. Rifling and bluing were really good.

This is just one of the many guns i'm getting info on including how they came to him, animals hunted and whatever else may come up. This was his wedding present from his father in law. Unfortunately he has a Marlin 336 that is his go to deer gun but this has shot a few.

The rifle began as a 7x57 Mauser, made for Colombia by Steyr in Austria, CZ in Czechoslovakia, or Fabrique Nationale in Belgium. In the 50's many were reworked ("Reformado") to the U.S. .30-'06 caliber by the Colombian Army's Fabrica de Materiales de Guerra (Military Materiel Factory - FAMAGE), in Bogota.

They were later sold as surplus to American importers and many were converted to sporting configuration, either by the importers or by persons who purchased the rifles in military form. Quality of the original rifles was very good.

Jim

The stock on it looks like a Fajen or a Bishop. Your rifle looks like one of the many that were sporterized back in the '50 -'60s when the surplus rifles were really cheap and sporterizing them was a popular activity for both amateur and professional gunsmiths. I have four sporters and am one of the seemingly few who really like them.

I would be leery of the eye relief on that scope with .30-06 recoil. From the pictures. yours seems to be a well done rifle; personally, I would like to have it.

Yeah I'm really surprised about it's condition. My dad was given it in 1980 and aside from a few deer seasons that it was lent to a friend it has lived in the gun cabinet. It would actually look better if I had dusted off the dust and talcom powder. On the up side my dad usually cleans all his guns every 6 months whether needed or not.

I would second the eye relief as being short but if I could weasel it away from him for a deer season I would update the 35+ year old scope.

Regards eye relief, just move the scope forward in the mounts. Can't see the brand of scope, but old optics might very well be good optics. Looks like see through mounts - some folks just can't give up the option of irons - and the original military safety probably won't clear otherwise. If you want to change to lower mounts, there are a couple good options for an amateur to change the safety.

Over the last couple years, I've purchased several sporterized Mausers in different states of complete. They're all good, based on what many consider the best bolt action ever. You have a good rifle there.

One thing with '06 in an old Mauser: COL. SAAMI max rounds at 3.34 might not fit the mag. Not a big deal, but check your ammo by fulling loading the mag. My National Arms conversion will take 3.27-3.28. At 3.30, one, maybe two, will go, but any more bind up.

I've never been a fan of see thru rings but my Dad had them on every rifle that he could find them for. Growing up when he did ('30s & '40s) he never completely trusted scopes. He took a lot of Mulies and Whitetails in his day so they definitely worked for him

My dad and grandfather are big fans of see through mounts for the sheer purpose of being able to see the deer through them and just lift their eye up the next level for the scope. It's usually short range hunting under 50 yards in wooded areas.

But in this case i'm sure the mounts are safety clearance.

I bet the scope on the rifle is a Bushnell just because most of the others I removed from family guns were.

One thing with '06 in an old Mauser: COL. SAAMI max rounds at 3.34 might not fit the mag. Not a big deal, but check your ammo by fulling loading the mag. My National Arms conversion will take 3.27-3.28. At 3.30, one, maybe two, will go, but any more bind up.

Good thing to know.

Raised rings are good for two other things.

1. Shot in brush

2. Dealing with a bear

I had them when I hunted and they worked just fine.

Never needed them for any of the reasons, but good to have all the same.

I would have nailed a Moose we were trailing if my brother had not been front, he had scope only and could not see anything to shoot.

It then went across a creek and jumped into the creek as it was dying.

Trust me, skinning a moose in the middle of a 20 degree night on a sinking hummock with bears in the area (one drainage away a bear took a moose away from F&G agent) and back to a creek is no fun.

Ok so say I needed parts in the future although I shouldn't. How would I go about finding things like say a firing pin, springs or action screws. Usually I would go to Numrich but there isn't a listing similar to this guns name.

It is a Model 1898 Mauser. There may be some minor differences from the 8mm but off-hand I can't think of any except perhaps in the magazine follower.

About everything else should interchange with the standard German Model 98.

(Of course the bolt has been reworked, so the same thing would have to be done with a replacement bolt, but it is fairly unlikely that a bolt would be needed.)

Jim

Back