R.D.S sighting in Question

AERacing1813

I'm going to be trying a red dot sight for the first time on a pistol once mine comes in, optic being a Delta point pro 2.5MOA.

Just curious what techniques y'all use for sighting in a pistol? I'll most likely be using sand bags. what distance do you ZERO at etc?

the pistols a 9MM with a 4.4" barrel.

I use a bench and a chair. I don’t lock the pistol into a ransom rest or a sled as I don’t do that for a rifle either. I sighted mine in at 20 yds as that was what was available to me at the time. 25 yds seems to be a standard to many people, but others do closer as well. You can always change the zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sig academy (and many other serious trainers) recommend 15yds. Ive used that as my zero distance for years. It works good for all my pistol shooting needs

The short of the vid below is
115 gn = 15yds...back on at 50
147 gn = 15yds...back on at 35

I find that pretty close to what i find with both my G19/RMR combo and my M&P/RMR

https://youtu.be/6GrBnBiIxJo

Aaron Cowan on zeroing the red dot.

https://youtu.be/EINDUy_ZrBc

I’m not convinced that there is a definitive right or wrong when it comes to a fair amount of this (not saying anyone here is claiming that, this is more an opinion in general). Watch different videos, consider what is being said, and decides what seems best for you.

I absolutely agree

Pick your zero distance based on what you plan to use the pistol for.
If shooting for groups at 25, zero there.

My choice for a 15 yard zero is based on using these guns as defensive pistols. A 15 yd zero puts me less then 1/2 low at 5yds, fractions of that low at 10 and around 1.5” low at 50

Even with a reddot a pistol past 50 under stress is pretty hard to pull off. Past that, its rifle time.

Now, the reality is the difference between a 15yd zero and a 25yd zero in a pistol is sooo small most shooters will not even notice it. Fractions of an inch across useable distances.

So, unless you are playing sniper pistol...pick one, shoot it enough to know what your gun and load does at different distances and HAVE FUN.

Sure, and I’m also using pistols from a defensive standpoint, as is Cowan. I don’t find the offset that noticeable shooting closer, but it is something to be mindful of, handgun or rifle.

Agreed. The close range holdovers with a red dot pistol are NOWHERE near those of a rifle. Just not enough hight over bore to really make a diff.

Hold bottom of the eyes and hit bridge of the nose. Close enough for Govt work. Lol

Even if we extrapolate the distance out to 100yds with the 2 zeros, its still only about 1.5” difference between the two. Too close to call, in my book.

Right. For most of my practice at 7-10 yds it isn’t something I have to consciously factor in, as opposed to my AR which I do. My point was offsets are a thing and knowing them and knowing how much of a difference they make for a particular setup is worth it, regardless of the zero choice. Even on my iron sighted pistols the POI can vary based on POA depending on the model of sight.

To the OP’s other question, when you sight in do you do some from sandbags, a bench, etc?

I have a 2moa micro RDS on a Ruger target pistol. I initially sighted in at 25 yards from sandbags on a bench. Once I was happy with that, I moved up to 50 and 100 yards. It's about 6 clicks difference from 25yd to 100yd. That is 22lr from a 5.5" bull barrel.

Back