• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

quoting on the site versus tapatalk

mkiker2089

I noticed that the site doesn't support quoting when replying. People are manually quoting instead but without adding the name. I suppose you could modify the quote text as other forums with quote=xxxx

Anyway, tapatalk supports quoting so why doesn't the site? It seems like something rather important to leave off because it helps keep conversations straight. Am I missing something?

Me said:
I noticed that the site doesn't support quoting when replying. People are manually quoting instead but without adding the name. I suppose you could modify the quote text as other forums with quote=xxxx

Anyway, tapatalk supports quoting so why doesn't the site? It seems like something rather important to leave off because it helps keep conversations straight. Am I missing something?

Yes, that seems to work, just add ="name" so the site supports quoting in the BBcode but the quote option is hidden on posts. If a mod could just unhide the reply button from the bottom of posts I think it would fix it.

The question of quoting has come up many, many, many times over the years.

They have removed the easy quoting buttons for a reason...
Folks tend to quote far too much.

Furthermore, the folks who run this site are actually pretty happy with the interface as it stands. I don't believe they mind it when the subject/question comes up, and I don't intend to speak for them -- but I can say pretty confidently that they have no plans to change any part of the interface regarding quoting posts... or really, change much of anything.

TFL Forums has been running in pretty much exactly the way you see it now, for a very long time.

The reasoning for not having a 'quote' button is really pretty simple.

It used to be that people would quote a post in it's entirety. For short posts, that is not much of a problem. But when many people begin posting long posts, only to answer or respond to a very short section, it filled the screen with a bunch of errata that became quite annoying.

The mods went on a campaign, trying to get everyone to edit what they were quoting. That is, delete everything that you aren't responding to. Make the post relevant and manageable. We were routinely ignored.

Some might say that the solution is to ban everyone that didn't listen. That's not a solution any of us wanted.

The most simple solution was to take away the button.

Problem 98% solved. Overnight.
Sevens said:
I can say pretty confidently that they have no plans to change any part of the interface regarding quoting posts.
Exactly.

Back