• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Quoting a post?

There may be more than one way, but here is how I do it:

First, enclose the words (case sensitive)

QUOTE=Doc Intrepid (or whomever you are quoting)

in brackets - [ and ]

Next insert the text you wish to quote. I use quote marks but you don't need to.

At the end type /QUOTE and enclose that in brackets as well

Your quote will show up in a text box with a citation indicating who you are quoting like this:

boxjeff said:
"How do you quote a post?"

Right up above where you posted this is a sticky thread cryptically titled "How do I quote from a post?" ;)

Post #4 is the most complete explanation.

Come come, Mal. You know once we sticky a post it becomes invisible!

That's why the military is investigating using our sticky process on the next generation of stealth aircraft. :)

Do you think they will ever upgrade the forum so there is a QUOTE button on each post instead of doing it the roundabout way like we do.

You are saying that having to copy and paste the text from someones post into another post and then type their name to get it to appear in the quote is an upgrade over pressing a QUOTE button is an upgrade?

The "old way" filled the threads with quotes nested within quotes. Sometimes your screen might be filled with one post and the only added info was "+1".

I agree that this way is better.

"You are saying that having to copy and paste the text from someones post into another post and then type their name to get it to appear in the quote is an upgrade over pressing a QUOTE button is an upgrade?"

Yes, it is.

Because it makes people actually THINK about what they're quoting.

I know, making most people think is actually cruel and unusual, but we're sadists.

By making people think about what they're quoting, we don't get lazy posters quoting a huge message just to say"+1", or "Quoted for truth!" or something equally inane and absolutely useless.

Plus there's the benefit that cutting down on what I like to call Quotarding also preserves bandwidth that is so generously given to us - FREE - by TFL's founder, Rich Lucibella.

It's not polite to waste what isn't yours, so we don't.

Back