Quieter .243 load?

Biff

Inactive
I always wear ear protection when plinking/target shooting, but when shooting wild dogs/coyotes this isn't always possible. I am willing to give up some performance in order to have a quieter round, but still need enough punch for coyotes/dogs out to 250 yds.
Does anyone know if fast or slow burning powders and heavy or light bullets will make a difference? Also, how much can I reduce a load safely? Thanks.

Biff,
The only way to quiet a .243 enough to really make a differance would severly reduce the range and accuracy of the rifle. a load that would launch a bullet to a speed fast enough to kill a yodel puppy at 250 yards, is going to be loud. Just from the Sonic Crack if nothing else.
I would suggest sonic II ear pluggs to protect you ears while hunting if you are worried about your ears.

I agree that to reduce the noise enough the performance will be useless. The best solution is earmuffs that amplify. These are great. They keep your ears warmer and you can hear better than normal.
ps. I regard the sonic plugs as garbage.

I use sonic earplugs when hunting, although they don't work as well as others, it is better than nothing. I even forget that I have them in.

Jayson

Back