Quiet .22 pistol ammo?

No4Mk1*

My question is can you place a .22 short or CB round directly in the chamber of a .22LR pistol (Buckmark or 22/45) and fire it single shot or will this damage the extractor like it will on some centerfire guns? I assume .22 Colibri will feed from the magazine as long as the action is manually cycled.

i've shot the short CB's in my brother's buckmark and in my rifle. They don't seem to cause any damage that we've noticed. CCI also makes a long CB but in my opinion it is a bit louder. You'll have to load the shorts ones one at a time but the you can fill the mag up with the longer ones and just cycle the slide after each shot.

I have here...

... a box of 50 Eley Subsonic Hollowpoints in .22LR with the price tag still on them. $6.50, kinda steep for .22...

And I thought CB was expensive $5/100.
The Rem subsonic is from $15-$25 per 500. I think it might be good with a supperssor, but it is almost as loud as regular .22LR from my experience.

Remington does make sub-sonic .22s which are great for squirrel hunting, especially in a bolt action or lever action. You can get them from Cheaper Than Dirt for around $ 15.00 a brick of 500.

I've shot hundreds of CBs and shorts in my Ruger MKII with no apparent problems.

I haven't been able to get Colibri 22's to feed reliably in any of my pistols or rifles. It's not just the action not cycling, but the shape of the bullet hangs up on the feed ramp in the magazines.

Use either the aforementioned Remington Subsonics (much cheaper than the foreign fare), or try their CB's in .22 long. I believe there is a negligible difference between the case length of 22 longs and 22 long rifles, which should alleviate your worry about using a short case in the LR chamber.

Back