Quick Question

TEX

I have a question, but I suspect I already know the answer. I have a brother living in CA that is a little worried about Y2K, and thinks he is a little short on firepower because he only owns a 5-shot revolver. He and I inherited an old 870 pump shotgun from our father but I have always kept it here in Texas because he doesn't hunt and I like to do a little dove hunting each year. He would like me to ship him the 870 straight to him until Y2K is over. Can I legally do this with a long gun that is technically half his anyway, or do I (as I suspect)have to ship it to him through and FFL and then back through an FFL when it comes back to me after January. I could call the ATF, but I try to avoid doing this if possible, because I have in the past gotten two different answers to the same question. They don't seem to be a fountian head of reliable information.

Thanks in Advance

John

It's not a transfer of ownership. It's not a handgun.

Disassemble it, box it up securely, insure it and ship it UPS. So far as I know, that's quite legal, and long guns are still accepted by UPS...

He can go to Arizona, Nevada or Oregon and legally buy any sort of gun. He is limited to long guns only, if he buys in a state not adjoining CA.

Better, he should move.

:), Art

TEX:

I'm not a legal expert, but I think as a non FFL holder the only allowed shipment of firearms from you is to a FFL (gunsmith, manufacturer, ect) and to yourself--for use in another state.

------------------
RKBA!

Back