Quick Question On Federal Law

In Ohio if a person is charged with Domestic Violence , and the charges are amended to disorderly conduct can one still own a firearm? Some tell me no, some say yes. I know i have a problem buying a firearm atm so i have a appeal going, but i had np getting my CCW a few months ago. and these charges where from 2007.

Last edited:
If I interpreted your typos right....

If you have an Ohio concealed permit then you should have no problem purchasing a firearm in that state...

Charged or convicted. Last I heard, charges didn't matter. Also, is there a domestic restraining order involved?

Not sure but I think the restraining order has to be active to shoot you down. On thr reduced charges you may be good to go. You might check the Attorney Generals web site and see if they cover it.

If you were Convicted of a misdemeanor act of domestic violence you will be in violation of Federal law if you are in posession of a firearm.

The law is retroactive and there is no grandfather clause.

As an instructor, I read the same question prior to all my classes.

Just because your system didn't catch something and issued you a permit does not meen that you are OK. You need to do as was previously mentioned and take your specifics to a Lawyer.

Best of luck... M

So i just got back from the attornys office, the one who took care of the case isnt there anymore he is a juvenile Judge but his son is helping me out now. He basically said that Shelby County doesnt do the subcodes on Disorderly conduct charges, so he is going to reopen the case and have the charge amended to the a Disorderly Conduct with the subcode of none of the Elements That Disqualify federal Gun Rights. But he also has to run this thru the Prosecutor, and make sure its fine with her so hopefully all will go well.

Back