Quick question for any Compensated Glock owners....

Lightsped

I will be buying a compensated Glock soon. Do the slide and barrel ports get really dirty and grimey? I would just like to know what to expect while I plan the final steps of my purchase out.....
Thanks

I don't shoot a ported Glock, as you describe, but I have fired thousands of rounds through compensated Glocks. Anytime you change the direction of the blast 90*, you're going to have carbon build-up. Problem with the ported Glocks is that the ports are on the breech side of the front sight, not a particlarly great design. Your front sight will get fouled.

When I get the money, I'm getting what my heart wants... a Glock 23C. I enjoy cleaning and shooting, so it may just be the perfect gun :)

Ben

What will be the best thing to use to clean up the fouling I will get on the front sight?

HCKJMN, you say your front sight doesn't get fouled? How about the exterior of the actual barrel?

my G24C is no harder to clean than any other of my non-compensated glocks. the front sight does get dirty and black quite quickly, i'm planning on replacing them with all black Heinie sights one of these days. if you really want to see the front dot while shooting at the range just take a rag and whipe it off after every mag or so.

you can see that on the barrel and slide around the porting it gets a little dirty but it's no harder to clean. just whipe it off, i just Hoppe's #9 on the barrel and Breakfree CLP on the rest of the gun like i do with all my handguns.

if you're gonna use it for defense get a non ported Glock barrel and just swap it in. it'll work just like any glock and you won't get all the muzzle flash that could be a problem in a defense situation.

How much do the G17 non ported barrels sell for?

I hope the Glocks front sights don't get as dirty as those on my ported Taurus 38 snubbie. Often it is a b*tch to clean after shooting 50 rounds or so.... Of course, I was shooting lead through the Taurus, so that may have something to do with it.

I just use any good solvent and nylon brush, easy to clean, may take a bit longer but hey, it's a great gun! well worth it.

Not a "C" owner, but...

Why are you after a compensated model? Personally, I've never seen the need for it unless you're talking about a major revolver caliber (.475 Linebaugh, for instance).

Are you contemplating using this as a carry gun? If so, I'd definitely steer you away from a compensated pistol. If you ever have to use it at night (when the vast majority of defensive pistol uses occue) then you're going to get one shot before being blinded by the upward blast through the ports.

I've never found that I can shoot more quickly and accurately with a compensated pistol than I could with its uncompensated kin. But I guess that's why there are so many flavors out there for us to choose from. God bless the gunmakers for offering us such variety!

All Glock owners should be compensated.

I am hoping to sponsor a bill in the next legislative session that would provide compensation for all certified Glock owners similar to current Federal compensation for the mentally disabled, those with physical handicaps or debilitating diseases.

Flame away. (grin)

I am after the 19C model because I am looking for a range gun. 9mm is very affordable and I highly doubt my 19C will ever be used for CCW or a defensive situation. I have other guns for that....

Back