Quick question about buying a handgun

brian4161

I'm turning 21 tomorrow and want to buy a handgun, can I do it tomorrow or do I need to wait until the day after my birthday? Thanks

ETA I'm in PA if that matters

You can buy it tomorrow, yes. You'll need a permit before you can take it home (I assume), how long that takes depends on PA law, that I don't know.

Last edited:
You don't need a permit to buy a pistol in PA. To buy a Pistol from a FFL you need to be 21 and pass PICS. After you make your selection and fork over your money you should be on your way in 20 min. or less. To carry it loaded you need a License To Carry a Firearm. There is a wealth of information @ pafoa.org.

Those folks know more about firearms laws in PA than most LEOs

Once purchased you may transport it unloaded to home or to the range. No Stops! Once your get you LTCF A whole new world opens up. Apply at your county sheriff's office except Philly. In Philly you go to the police. That is to say the county in which you hold residents.

peetzakilla - That link is making Firefox freeze on me, I'll try later.

rwilson452 - Thanks, I can't believe I forgot about PAFOA.

There is a wealth of information @ pafoa.org.

Ditto that. I haven't lived in PA since I was thirteen, but I love to stay in touch with the state. pafoa.org is great. I do the the same with my other former home state, CA. Calguns is a very active, energized organization, foundation, and website that is helping to lead the way in some of the biggest 2A advances in recent history. Between those sites and the beloved Firing Line, I don't have enough time in the day.

Good luck with your purchase. Support the NRA and other rights organizations, CRKBA, CALGUNS, SAF, and others.

Last edited:
Back