Quick Load

John0011

Looking into four reloading books for information on the
45 super, and finding nothing has sparked an idea to pickup Quick Load.

The price of Quick Load is about what I paid for the four reloading manuals.

Is there any other software that I should check out before
purchasing Quick Load?

I almost bought it this morning, but I thought that asking this board about it was a good idea.

You need to get up with Unclenick on this board.
It is MY understanding that straight wall cartridges, especially short pistol cartridges are not well predicted by Quick Load.

Hodgdon has data for six of their powders.
Western/Ramshot/Accurate has some ACP +P data that is very stout.
Lots of discussion on the www.

Awhile back we had a discussion going here about a new program (from Germany, IIRC) that sort of competes with Quickload. Iit is named "Gordon's Reloading Tool."

https://grtools.de/

Discussion here: https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602418&highlight=gordon+reloading

I looked at it, and I found that it wasn't very useful to me because the powder database doesn't include the powders I use, and I have no way of obtaining the technical specs on the powders I use to add them into the database. Back then it was a free download, so you could take a look at it before making the leap to buy Quickload.

GRT has had a lot of powders and a fair number of cartridges added since our last discussion.
It may be more viable, now.

As for QuickLoad...
I don't think it is the right answer for you.
I bought QL for use with some of my wildcats and cartridges with limited published data (like .458 SOCOM, .475 Tremor, 6x45mm, .444 Marlin, .480 Ruger, .307 Win, .17-223 Rem, .327 Federal, etc.).
For those cartridges, it has been almost completely useless.
QL does not do well with most straight-walled cartridges, particularly those running low pressure. The program also has extremely limited (often incomplete) data for uncommon cartridges, like .307 Win, because the sample set for testing was limited (if the cartridge was even tested - some are just dimensional entries in the database, with no 'tuning' done).

Everything in QL can be tweaked and tuned. But that isn't as easy or straight forward as it sounds, and one must always be careful to leave the original files unmolested. There's also always the question of whether or not you're changing the correct values in the database files. Just because a few tweaks gets the muzzle velocity to match actual measurements, and peak pressure now represents something more plausible, doesn't mean that it will scale reliably when using a different bullet or changing the powder charge.

I like having QL. I really like being able to run all kinds of theoretical loads and get a prediction (which your experience with the components, and the program, can be weighed against for how accurate it may be). It is exceptionally good for getting velocity predictions with common cartridges and popular powders and projectiles. But it is terrible once you play outside the box. QuickLoad's 'box' is bottleneck rifle cartridges, running ~42,000+ psi.

...And I bought it for a very similar purpose to yours, and it is not helpful in that regard. I would like to think my experience is an unusual one, but I've heard the same story from many other people that wanted to work with an unusual, uncommon, or unpublished cartridge, couldn't find data, thought, "QuickLoad is the answer..." and quickly discovered that random loads off the internet are more accurate and (possibly) more reliable.

If you do choose to buy QL, remember the most important thing:
Garbage in, garbage out.
You must be vigilant in feeding the program good data, verifying the default values in the database, and double-checking what the program spits out; as the databases do contain errors or omissions, and we humans do make data entry mistakes.

FrankenMauser said:
GRT has had a lot of powders and a fair number of cartridges added since our last discussion.
It may be more viable, now.
Thanks for the update. I've downloaded a new copy and I'll play with it a bit when I get a chance.

QuickLOAD doesn't do all that well with straight-wall cartridges (and or including pistol cartridges). It's aimed a bottlenecked rifle cartridges. I have had my copy for many years and really like it, but I don't bother trying to use it for pistol cartridges.

Thanks for the information on QuickLOAD, right now all that I am reloading is pistol so the purchase would have been a bad idea.

I emailed Vihtavuori and asked if they had any 45 super load data for 3N37 and 3n38, see what happens.

John0011,

I have found QuickLOAD to be such a good education in interior ballistics factors that I would not discourage anyone interested in these things from getting it. However, Gordon's Reloading Tool (GRT) has the Vihtavuori powders and very similar kinds of information, so I think that if you use that free beta version of the program, you will get a very good idea what using QuickLOAD is like, give or take a few details like display organization and appearance and the fact the GRT software has an additional knee in its powder characteristic curves for its model.

There are going to be some tricks to arriving at realistic results with either program. I think many people are unaware of just how approximate even measured results can be as compared to a true absolute average result in your gun. The fact the software "fires" rounds through "ideal" gun models often produces a bit more velocity than the pressure numbers suggest they should. But the bottom line is that even where these programs are off in absolute numbers, they are very good ratiometric predictors. If I adjust case capacity or powder burn rate a little to get a velocity match to a published maximum load, I can take the maximum pressure rating for the cartridge and divide it by the program result to get a ratio of prediction that seems to hold pretty well. That's what I did for the load estimation I made for the super with 3N37. I used real 45 Auto data as the baseline for predicting the pressure rise.

Back