Quick Little Review On the Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308

CK_32

This is just a preview I plan on hopefully getting a better more in depth review of the Remington 700 SPS Tac. after I go back out next Saturday for some more testing and field time.

get-attachmentaspx.jpg
sdvsdvsdvsdv.jpg

Rifle: Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308
Rings & Base: Badger Ordnance M40A3 rings w/ Badger Ordnance 20 MOA rail
Scope: Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15x 40mm
Bi-Pod: Harris S-series Spring loaded Notched legs
Ammunition: Winchester 7.62x51 147g FMJ
Conditions: Winds ranging from 4 to 12 MPH for most of the day.

DSCN0771.jpg

This is a quick 5 shot group out to about 210 yrds +/-. Its about .75 MOA at 200 yards, The 4th shot is the one way on the right that was my mistake forgot to hold over for the wind change.

Pros.

I got a decent 5 shot group out to about 200-210 yards I milled it out to 207 (+/-) But we played around with 50 to 300 yard shots. Winds kept playing with me but I got a fairly decent group out of it. The rifle preformed really well I was actually surprised due to how well it shot with the cheap ammunition and conditions it was up against and first time on the range with this rifle. Comes with a Pillar bedded Hoage stock over the cheaper SPS stocks. It is a really first time user friendly rifle didn't take long to get comfortable with. I think the rifle it self could preform much better in better hands but hopefully I'll get some better conditions next weekend. Overall very impressed with how it preformed for being only a $1,200 stock build. I've seen a lot of word about how Remington has gone down hill over the past years with some of their rifles but this rifle is not one of the defects.

Cons.

The one problem I had was the stock and the cheek weld. The stocks made to look down the iron sites which makes it really tricky to keep on the scope and keep steady on the target. There isn't much I didn't like about the rifle but the over all weight from the scope bi-pod mostly was a little hard to get a good mark on the target on prone and stand up position especially without a sling on it yet. Has a little bit of a kick for a new shooting but isn't anything you cant get use to. But they do also offer it in .223 but I personally think you should get the 308 model and get the full potential out of the rifle for what its worth.

Comparison

We matched it up against a Howa 1500 308 with a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 LR/T M3 Mil Dot and a Custom Built Ar-15 in .223 with a Red Dot site (Forgot the makers of the Upper and Lower and what red dot was used.) He had a Leupold Mark 4 LT/R scope for it but lost the allen key to be able mount it. But they weren't even close. The 700 blew them both away on the multiple targets and shot placement parts of out match ups. I think the AR might have done a little better having the scope put on but sometimes thing just don't go as planned. But that would have been a good match up. The Howa did alright but the Remington didn't take long to show what it could do and top the competition.

Overview

Overall I have to say if your on a small budget and looking for good bang for your buck this is the rifle and set up for you. It's a solid but fairly decent price set up for beginners and intermediate alike. Great platform to start off a full custom build. The stock is eh I have to say its not the best but better than most out there on some stock rifles. But its a great started rifle and can take you way beyond most of the rifles out today. For those looking to get a decent rifle on a budget this is the rifle for you.

Sorry for the quality and size of the pictures they were taken from my I_Phone and they didn't come out so well. Hopefully ill Post some more photos and video of it this weekend and from next.

Agreed... The SPS Tactical is a great way to get into precision rifles on a budget. I sold off a couple of my Savage's (for no other reason than I WANTED a Remington), and I went with the SPS simply because I wanted a Manners stock. If you're going to change stocks anyway, the SPS is a much better way to go than a 700P.
Mine does sub 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with Federal Gold Medal Match, and is at least sub MOA out to 500... I hit 5 for 5 on a 5" steel plate at 500 at my last match, and that was with a 15 mph full value wind.

Yea I dont hate savages or howas or any other companies but I just dont
feel the solid plat form as I do with the 700's. I can honestly say I would
trust this rifle to save my life. I was shooting bowling pins out to 500 yards
yesterday missed a few times but that was my mistake.

SPS????

i had a 30-06 SPS 26 inch barrel and it had the cheesest hinged floorplate i had ever seen on a rifle , the rest of the gun looked ok,but the floor plate looked like it was made out of pot metal or something similar and felt like pot metal too!! does this SPS tactical have a solid steel hinged floorplate or the cheesey one like my 30-06??or no floorplate at all??how long is barrel on this 308??

Last edited:
Well - my SPS floorplate is a few feet away from me in the original plastic stock. The rifle itself is off at the smith, along with its new stock. It wasn't an accuracy impacting part and thus I dismissed it. IDK what it's made of but it wasn't a factor for me.

Madokie:

Barrel is a 20" Bull Barrel w/ 1:12 twist.

It does have a floor plate I'm not sure but mine felt pretty solid. Not much of a factor to me it was just another floor plate to be honest. Only used the floor plate once thus far so but it seemed like some decent steel.

Were you shooting WWB ammo?

If so, dump it or use it in something other than your bolt gun.

Try either handloading or Federal Premium 168 gr SMK.

I will bet you will see your groups shrink and you will not have done ANYTHING to the rifle.

Just sayin' I have the 700P and I have shot the WWB ammo. I do not do that anymore.

Geetarman:D

Ck 32...
It could have changed recently but when I was shopping for mine, the 20" barreled 308 SPS Tac's came in a 1-10" twist, and the 26" rifles had the 1-12". Not sure why they did it that way, but those were the choices when I was looking.

Got one myself, same glass elite 3200 tact, love the gun. I do need dome range time with it. At 100m and a little rain the first two groups were sub-half. I recently got several different types and brands of ammo to try out and will post my results!

Rickr,

I have a post in the handloading thread about shooting Berger 175 gr. VLD over 43 gr. H380. Go to the bottom of the thread and look at the 10 shot group with the bullets -.065 off the lands. It is not too shabby.

The only thing done to the rifle was a trigger job.

Geetarman:D

I will put my Savage 12fv 243 against any remington and the only thing I have done is chopped the barrel down to 22", re-crowned with a 11 degree target crown, lapped the bolt lugs, and placed aluminum rods in the stock and glassed them in....total additional cost maybe $25......

It will match ANY SPS Remington out there that they put new trigger, stock, blah blah blah

Savage, WORLD CHAMPION 5 years in a row long distance rifle. Remington? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Last edited:
It seems hard to believe you can compete and win at the highest levels of long-range shooting competition with a stock factory rifle, but that’s exactly what Team Savage did at the recent F Class world championships in Bisley, England. The team dominated the F-T/R division, winning a total of 14 medals at the World Championships proper and various side matches associated with the event.

Stan Pate of Milwaukie, OR,; Darrell Buell Damascus, OR; Monte Milanuk of Wenatchee WA and John Weil of Welches, OR made the trip across the Atlantic to represent the US and Savage Arms. The competition is held once every four years and features some of the best talent and most expensive custom rifles from around the globe. The matches are held over several days, at distances of 800, 900 and 1,000 yards.

The Savage Shooters used the Model 12 F-T/R from Savage Arms. This exact model can be purchased from any Savage Arms dealer and carries a suggested retail price of just $1,265. The results speak for themselves: Team Savage comes home with Seven gold medals, two silvers and two bronze from the World Championships. They also earned two gold medals and a bronze at the associated side matches, including one held in Ireland.

http://www.savagearms.com/news/article/?id=2K5nTzegQ

I searched and searched the Cerberus/Remington/Bushmaster/Marlin/whatever else they bought and alas nothing, nada, blanco on winning anything. Just saying

Last edited:
TRguy,

I hear nothing but good things about Savage rifles.

I cannot keep up with the models, but a guy at the range I frequent has a Savage heavy barrel, Accutrigger in 6mmBR and I see him put 5 shots into a nickel a lot.

How does your rifle hold up with longer strings?

Last edited:
I honestly don't know, never really heated the barrel up. The most number of projectiles down the barrel was 5 in about 10 mins and probably a 10-15 break after that......In that context I really never have had stringers with it.

I imagine as with any barrel if I heated it up, then accuracy would fall off a bit.

....also with the shorter barrel and the lower powder loads in my cartridges (Usually 35.5 gns of IMR 3031) I am not getting higher velocities that might contribute to accelerated barrel wear.

Revolution.jpg

Last edited:
I hear that. I have been working on some Berger bullets in my bolt .308.

In order to get an idea how the group is printing, I have been shooting 10 shot strings. What I have found is that -.065 off the lands for the Berger 175gr VLD is pretty sweet.

Actually the group in the photo I posted was VERY similar to Federal Trophy .308 with 168 gr. SMK.

I loaded up 20 tonight with Nosler 168 gr. HPBT and 46 gr. of H380. That load reported velocity should be very close to a factory duplication load.

I hope to burn them up on Friday. I also have some more Bergers loaded up at -.065 off the lands and am working on the powder charge.

I am still shooting H380 but now I have 10 at 43.5 gr, 10 at 44gr., 10 at 44.5gr. and 10 at 45gr.

These are all well below max loads and I am anxious to see if the groups get smaller. If they don't, I am going to start dropping the charge a little bit and see what happens.

Glad you like your rifle. The guy at the range let me try the trigger on his and for me it was just WAY too light. You had to be really careful closing the bolt.

He knew how to do it but I had never manipulated one.

Way too sensitive for me.

I was talking a little bit to a guy over at the indoor range I use and he was saying something about a new Savage bolt gun. He did not have any specifics. I think I can find room in my safe for another rifle. A Savage might just be the ticket.:D

I need to try some of those Bergers, just have so many of the Hornady bullets sitting around.....

The trigger of course is easily adjusted with the accu trigger tool. Mine is set at 2lbs, light but mine will adjust down to 1.5lbs.....the competition (Red) accu trigger will tune down to .5 lbs

It is proven unless you depress the center set trigger on the accu trigger, the platform will not AD. No matter if you drop it or slam the bolt home.

(Now the disclaimer, triggers like most moving objects on a firearm are machine applications and can and will fail at some point in its life. That's all machines in life.)

Back