Quick ? for all the senior shotgunners....

ClydeFrog

Any forum members or shotgun shooters recall if OF Mossberg & Sons ever put out a left hand model 500 or 590 series pump 12ga?

I remember Remington & Mossberg both making a select few left hand type pump shotgun models but that was in the 1980s/early 1990s.

I'm left handed & checking into good 12ga models like the 870 or BPS series.

CF

I don't think I remember Mossberg having a left handed model.

You can always add Ithaca to your list, I believe they eject from the bottom, like the BPS series.

I think Benelli also has some left-handed models in their line up as well.

What is this going to be used for? Clays, hunting, home defense or??

I know that there are a few left-handed 870s. (A buddy's dad just picked one up absolutely dirt-stinking-cheap.) I also used to dove hunt with an Ithaca that was a bottom-eject model. I think it was Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight, but the one I hunted with was a 20 guage. It was a sweet shooter, too.

They still make 'em, though: http://www.ithacagun.com/featherlight.html

In my opinion, Browning BPS is your best choice...they're cast neutral, no palm swell, bottom eject, safety on top of the tang....

a model like the BPS Hunter ...sells new for around $ 600 in my area....and its a solid gun.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=011B&cid=012&tid=211
----------
You might look around for some used ones....but they're hard to come by / most of us that have this model keep them around ( I've had mine since the late 70's I think, one in a 12ga, 28" and one in a 20ga 28"...I killed a lot of birds and clays with them ..and trained my 2 boys ...and several grandkids with them )....and since I have some grandkids that are lefties...its still good to have them around).

I don't think you'll find a better pump gun for the money than one of the BPS models...

Remington has done several different runs of left handed repeaters through the years. Usually a few on GunBroker and GunsAmerica. When the demand builds up again they will likely make some more.

I'm left handed

and it aggravated me no end when I'd go to the "Left handed" product section on the Remington site, and they'd have a picture of a left handed guy shooting a RIGHT HANDED RIFLE !:mad:

As a lefty I find firing a righty 870 to be a perfectly pleasant experience, and I find its easy to assess the chamber since its right in your field of view.

Splice I can't agree more. The loading port is right there just drop in a shell and close the action.

And safety's can be changed to lefthand types on the Remingtons, Ithaca's and many autoloaders.

As far as some complain about the ejected shell distracting them, go back to square one and learn how to shoot again. Your concentration is on the target not the operating gun!

If you want to talk about distraction them rethink the tang mounted safety's, sticking up on the back of the reciever like a big t**d in the middle of the road. You have to move your thumb and change your grip on the gun, no so with safety's mounted on the triggerguard just a slight movement of the trigger finger and it is off and the gun is ready to fire.

Last edited:
Back