Quick access handgun lock box

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin6

Greetings everyone, I am new to the site and thankful that it is here. I look forward to getting to know and learn from everyone, as well as putting in my .02 cents worth. I have two little curious kids at home. The older they get, the more I am concerned about unauthorized accesibility to my loaded handgun kept for home defense. Although it is up high, hidden and kept without one in the pipe, I still do not want unauthorized access to it by my precious little ones. Therefore I am in the market for a quick access lock box for my handgun. I understand there are several makers and types available. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with these. Please make recomendations. Thanks, martin6

well i just saw some at the my local gun store i forget the name but i bet some one will get it .it looks like a hand on the top of the box and you preset the finger selection as a code then presto it opens by batteries. very slick and moderately quick. did seem pricey at like 100.00 i think. there are like 3-4 good quick boxes. the old stand by would be a small money lock box from office supply place. like 30.00 with lock.

I use a "Cannon Safe" quick access safe (Retails $75). Has 5 "Simplex®" push buttons and a turn knob on the top. You can program the combination. Takes me approx. 1 second to unlock and open in the dark. Its basically a plain black metal box with gold trim. Not high-tech looking like others out there, but it works great.

Cannon Safe, Inc./ 9358 Stephens Street / Pico Rivera, CA 90660 / (310)692-0636 / (800) 242-1055

It looks exactly like the one on this web page: http://st15.yahoo.com/dsafe/vlintopcas.html

DWM

[This message has been edited by DWM (edited October 11, 1999).]

Found another web site for you. http://www.handgunsafe.com/

I can't stress enough the importance of keeping guns safely locked up (quick access safe or other). 4-5 years ago I felt that I was safe leaving my S&W 686 revolver in my nightstand drawer because the youngest person in my household was my 21 year old sister, no children. In all my years of gun ownership, she had never shown ANY interest in my guns before. Well, one day she was joking around that she was going to kill herself (yes she was joking) and she dashed into my room and grabbed it. By the time I caught her, she already had it pointed at her head, then mine. After retrieving it from her, she said, "well of course the safety is on". What safety would that be, it's a revolver. I purchased my Cannon Safe the next morning. Moral is, children or no children, it is EXTREMELY important to keep your guns locked away. 20/20 hindsight also tells me that I should have educated her about my guns.

$100+ does seem expensive for a small metal box, but I'd rather part with the money than the life of a loved one.

DWM

[This message has been edited by DWM (edited October 11, 1999).]

Issuse was discussed in the Gear Forum here at TFL. My recommendation then was the simplex locked 3/16" thick steel gun valut by Palmer Security Products.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I'm currently performing a product review of GunVault's MiniVault Deluxe. So far, I've been very impressed. It has motion and tamper detectors, and can be permanently mounted to a solid surface. I'm presently performing a usability test (I have my wife set an alarm clock for a random time during the night, and when it goes off and wakes me up I have to attempt to immediately open the lockbox). This is but one of the usability tests that I'm performing. Next month I test its security by destructively attempting to pry it open. I'll also perform drop testing also. My test will be published on November 15 at http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs.htm

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

Thanks to the guy who posted the Gun Box link--looks like a great product for not such a bad price. I've been looking around a lot lately.

Shawn, glad to hear that the spirit of responsible consumership through self-torture is alive and well.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I have Mossberg safe. It keeps two guns of medium size; has a combination lock; it takes about two sec to open. Cost around two hundreds. Check Mossberg site.

Regards

Zentao

As a side note, I'd like to add that the state of Connecticut has made gun safety devices such as safes and trigger locks sales tax free. Kind of a nice gesture, I think...

Pilate-- Now that's the kind of safety lock law I don't mind! 'T'would be nice if all of the states would do the same... No stick, just carrot.

I've been looking into these things as my daughter enters her 14th month and demonstrates the acts of toddling and rummaging. (shudder) So far, the big guns go in the cheapy safe and the house guns go in a closet she can't (yet) get into. Pistol on a high shelf. I need a bedside lockbox-- which is better: the ones with the door that merely pops open, or the ones with the draw that shoots out like a cash register? I'm assuming that a Gold Cup, 2 mags, and a flashlight will fit in any of these?

L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Best one I have seen is the little gem that looks like a wood-covered am/fm clock Radio. Functions fully as well. has a keypad on top that has a tamper cut-out.. Looks very nice and is not obvious as a gun vault. Forgot the manufacturer. Also has a kepad that you can plug in the side a keep under your pillow to remotely unlock it. Also has a battery backup.

ben

I was looking into the same issue because I wanted to keep a gun in our bedroom. We have no children but I think I would be irresponsible if I left a loaded gun sitting in a drawer. I also wanted something a thief could not pick up and take with them to open later. I decided to try something different. We have night stands on each side of our bed so I decided to use the top drawer for my 'lock box'. I have used a device called 'REV-A-LOCK' to secure other cabnets. The device uses a magnetic key to open a lock. The lock is placed on the inside of the drawer and the strike plate is placed on the inside of the cabnet. When the drawer is closed the lock is moved behind the strike plate and the drawer will not open. When a magnetic key(which looks like a small knob) is placed on the outside of the drawer (opposite to the lock inside) the lock retracts and allows the drawer to open. This allows me to keep the same night stand and still be secure. This may not be the answer for everyone but it works great for me. I purchased the locks at Lowes, it came with 2 keys and 5 locks. Cost <$20. Company Ph# 1-800-762-9030.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back