Questions regarding bullet-resistant vests

Ion

Inactive
I found a similar post on here, so I thought this might be right place to post these questions.

Just recently I saw the movie "Hot Fuzz", in which the character of Simon Pegg takes a .22 WMR fired from a NAA Mini Revolver to the protected chest. He obviously survives and is back in action after a brief period of recovery.
Now this is a movie and doesn't adhere to realism but what would actually happen to a bullet-resistant vest wearer being hit by that kind of gun?
Reports of people being hit by more regular calibers (9mm, .45 ACP) describe a feeling of taking a sledgehammer to the chest leaving bruises and even broken ribs, what about smaller caliber fired from short handguns?

In short, what would .22 Short, .22 LR, .22 WMR, .25 ACP and .32 ACP fired from a short barreled handgun do to a wearer of Type IIA respectively Type IV body armor do?

me and my wife regularly blast each other with a .32 while wearing IIIa vests. like a paintball to bare skin. probably enough to make Simon Pegg cry, but not an actual grown person.

I am kidding, please don't shoot at people wearing bullet "resistant" vests. I have no earthly idea what a .22wmr would feel like or any caliber.

There are a lot of different vest designs. Some use trauma plates.
As I understand it:
What makes a vest work is usually some sort of flexible material most bullets can't penetrate.
What makes it work well s some sort of rigid structure behind the resistant material.
More rigidity makes it less comfortable when moving, heavier, hotter, etc. So every design has compromises.

Police usually wear lighter, cooler, more comfortable vests.

Back