Questions re: AR-15 Barrel Lengths & Stuff

saylerman

I'm purchasing my first AR-15 this week and am trying to decide on just which length bbl. I should get. I see all sorts from 14.5" (+ brake) to 26". This will be a carry gun (probably spend most of its life in the trunk of a patrol car) and a fun "plinker" for me and the wife (how else could I justify spending another $800 on an optional duty firearm?)
I had ordered a BM Shorty AK (14.5" + brake)a few weeks ago, but my FFL found out today that it will probably not get here for 6 more weeks or so and my qualifying class starts in 2 weeks. I chose the Shorty mainly because I like the looks of the shorter handguards, and figured that the shorter bbl. might make it easier to uncase in a hurry. Now I know that "because I think it looks cool" is not the best reason to go with a certain configuration, so here I am asking you all your opinions. I can't seem to find any 14.5" Shorties in town (Phoenix) and only 1 16" Shorty w/A2s(at $899 - I don't think so). My regular FFL has a 16" Dissapator that I can get a good deal on, but I guess I'm not sure about the full length handguards. Is there an advantage to them? I understand that the Dissapator gives a full length sight radius (I think thats what they call it) - is this just a selling point, or something to really think about? Another shop has a nice 16" Shorty, but it has A1 sights instead of the A2s. Comments here?
Lots of shops in town have 20" and 24" Target models, but my thinking is that I should stay with a 16" (that easy swing and ability to get it out of the car in a hurry). Any ideas here?
I realize I've asked a lot of questions, but would appreciate any and all help you can give.
Thanks
Daz

[This message has been edited by saylerman (edited April 26, 1999).]

If you can get your Sheriff to give you a letterhead, I'd recommend a Colt Model 6721 Tactical Carbine. 16" barrel, collapsible stock. Very handy for getting in and out of the squad. My department recently bought 3.

I have a Bushmaster preban, 16' heavy barrel, collapsible stock, A2 sights. I find this length the handiest for getting in and out of vehicles etc.

Many people like the Dissapator. I've no personal experience with them though.

Be aware that you do lose some velocity with the shorter barrel. This is not enough to make the round ineffective at normal ranges though.

One of the best things about the AR15 type rifle is that it is so versatile. With just the addition of a new upper unit you can change barrel lengths and even some calibers.

Personally, I'd get a 16" carbine and add a 20" upper later if I wanted to do different types of shooting.

Jeff

My .02 worth:

I would stay away from the 14.5 inch unless your main deployment is building clearing because of the poor balistics. See http://www.firearmstactical.com/index.html for their testing of the M193 and M855. 16-20 inches is the ballpark you want to play in.

I would suggest you handle as many flavors as you can. I did not like the feel of the dissapator but others do. One drawback I see for the dissapator is you must mount a light to the front sight and I believe it will extend beyond the muzzle.

If you want something the looks pretty, look at the an ArmaLite with Green furniture (My preference). www.armalite.com

Concerning getting it in and out of your car, you might want to consider a collapsable stock if it will be mounted in the passanger compartment.

I would suggest you quickly get a copy of Jim Crews' "Some of the Answer, Urban Carbine" for the foundamentals and beyond. Your instructor (Phoenix area) probably took training from Jim and may supply the book. His web site is http://www.angelfire.com/biz/AZGuns/ He is on the road right now but does answer his email regularly.

I don't have any thoughts on the A1 vs A2 since I went with a flattop and Trijicon ACOG optic (TA44). But then again, lack of knowledge has not always stopped me from commenting before. :) I would guess that since your climate is always dry and hot or hotter, once your sights are zero'd in, the trajectory should not change much and thus you would not be readjusting your sight much. Ease of adjustment is the main advantage I see the A2 has over the A1. Most of your serious work will be from 0-200m. Jim zero's his for 250m and the large aperature, thus, you don't need to touch the sights once its zero'd.

Discernment in your purchase,
Dale Rabideau

[This message has been edited by Dale Rabideau (edited April 26, 1999).]

If I was going to buy another - HESSE ARMS AR-15 chambered for .50AE. Think of it. a fifty cal AR-15... Wow.

Best for a Patrol, yeah, the 14.5 plus muzzle break. I dont know if you need a heavy barrel... that is not a nessaary option... but fluting is... better heat disapation and make it lighter and faster handling. Since your LE, get the colapsable stock - short barrel and with the stock tucked in - very short, and light.. fast handling and easy to get in and out of the cruiser. The only other thing you will want is a Bushnell Holosight, a good sling, and maybe a vericle foregrip... and your set with all you need... accept magazines... some are better than others. Choose mags wisely. 30 rounders are nice and look cool, but the 20 rounders are easier to live with.
www.ar15.com is a great site for AR15s... check it out.

------------------
SICK AND TIRED OF...

Back