questions on USP45 operation

cruiserman

I've got some questions on how my HK USP45 compact model works regarding internal and external safeties. According to the manual, I can carry it like a DA gun with hammer down and safety on or off. Or I can carry it cocked and locked. If carrying cocked and locked, the only way to safely lower the hammer is by emptying the gun of ammo and pulling the trigger. Correct?

With a round in the chamber and the hammer down, will the gun fire if the hammer is struck (gun dropped)? I'm guessing it won't, but I want to be sure.

I'm looking forward to trying it out. Any advice is appreciated.

No, the firing pin does not move forward (igniting the primer on the bullet) unless the trigger is fully pressed all the way back. Most modern pistol designs include this safety feature.

What USP variant do you have?

In each single action/double action USP variant with a lever on the frame, except the V9 & V10, the hammer can be lowered using the safety lever as a decocking lever. Simply press the lever all the way down and, on a properly functioning pistol, the hammer will be safely lowered. The lever will return to the neutral position on its' own once you release it.

Try that with the pistol unloaded. It should work but if not, and yours isn't a V9 or V10, return it to HK for repair.

The V9 and V10 are the only two which have a safety lever without a decoking function, much like a 1911.

The USP does have a internal firing pin block which can only be disengaged by pressing the trigger completely rearward.

[This message has been edited by SKN (edited December 12, 1999).]

Basically I'm an idiot. I wasn't pushing down far enough on the control lever to get it to de-cock :). It's a variant 1 model.

Back