Questions on Ruger 357 GP 100

Al205

Hi , iam wanting to Purchase a 357-38 special revolver
for Range use Mostly . And Home Defense as well.
I have shot a few different brands of revolvers over the years
S&W , Colt , Rossi . And i recently i just noticed the Ruger GP 100
, I really like the looks of the gun , and from the Durable look of it
i think it would probably be a better range gun than the S&w .
and definitly the Colts . Currently i have a Ruger 22 taget gun ,
and iam bored to death with 22's . Can anyone give me any info
on the ruger GP Revolver ? Thanks

I own two KGP-141s. Ruger’s GP-100 series is generally superb. You simply cannot go wrong with one. Some individuals believe the new-in-box trigger pull is not as smooth as past Colts or Smiths (I suspect they are right), but the small deficiency is easily corrected by firing/dry firing the Ruger. Overall, a GP-100 (IMHO) is the BEST BUY available in .38 Special/.357 magnum revolvers. Your great great grandchildren will thank you for deciding to buy one (that's how long they will last).

For competion bullseye league, I purchased a 6" stainless GP 100 and am extremely pleased with it.

I got the 6" unit because B-Square makes an excellent, no smithing required, Weaver style mount, should I have decided to use a red dot sight. (There does not seem to be any mounts out there that require no smithing for the shorter barrel models.)

I did in fact go to a red dot, and the B-Square mount fit quite solidly and perfectly. With a BSA red dot sight (which is nice as they do not require separate scope rings), the gun is simply a tack driver, which makes the league shooting fun.

I blathered on regarding the flexability of the 6" model as you mentioned you would mostly use the gun for range use. As all the 6" models come with an adjustable rear sight, you'd have maximum flexability with this unit.

The only drawback to this particular gun would be it would not be all that great if concealed carry were an issue. (Legal concealed carry, of course.)

Regards

Hi Al! I did allot of research a while ago, basically asking myself the same questions. I finally went with a Stainless Steel Ruger Gp-100 with a 6" tube. Your right about the rugedness and durability of this weapon. I feel comfortable using it in any field or range environment. I don not carry concealed in public, since we cannot in Illinois, so that isn't an issue for me.

I just came back from the range with it actually. I fired from the bench today, and I could put my thumb over all my groups. For me, that is a good day. For you, that is a testament to it's accuracy. Everything is stock on my revolver except for the Hogue Monogrips.

I understand about getting bored with .22lr cartridges. 38 special cartridges aren't nearly as whimpy, and 357's are lots and lots of fun to shoot :) . If you were looking to carry this weapon in public or on a regular basis, I would recommend the 4" GP. Otherwise, and especially if you plan to hunt, I would go with the 6". Before I bought mine, I fired a few Smith and Wesson's, a Colt Trooper and Python, and of course the Gp-100. After about 1000 rounds through my Ruger, I am still very happy.

The others are right about http://www.rugerforum.com being a good place to go, but the best source of reliable flowing information is right here at "The Firing Line". This place is tops in my book; followed by a distant third at, http://www.glocktalk.com in the Wheelhouse.

Back